Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a subscription for xmas because I love to cook, but I am not a vegetarian...however I am confused by an article in this month's issue.<br><br>
"What's in my yogurt?" talks about hidden animal products in foods and the title example is the ground cochineal beetles used to make red food coloring that may be in strawberry yogurt...which I kind of understand but then they go on to warn of the whey found in crackers...if you are a vegetarian who eats yogurt are you worried about whey in crackers? And the one I really don't get is the warning of rennet in cheddar cheese, why would it be ok to eat cheese but not rennet?<br><br>
if anyone has any insight, I'm just curious, Thanks!<br><br>
-P

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Rennet is traditionally obtained from the lining of calves' stomachs. While a lacto-vegetarian would have no qualms about eating *milk* products, eating slaughterhouse byproducts is generally a different story.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well I think the "What's in my yogurt?" article was meant to warn all veg*ns to be more cautious and research the ingredients in their food. That's a lesson all new veggies have to learn- label reading. And even when you get used to label reading, you then have to learn how to pick out the "hidden" animal ingredients i.e. just because it doesn't say milk on the ingredient list, doesn't mean it's vegan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts