Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make some for Anna, but would like suggestions on the best way to make them and the best fabric(s) to use. They don't have to be anything fancy, just practical. I do not own a serger, just a sewing maching.

Also for anyone who uses fleece liners, what type of fleece should I buy to make these? Everything I saw when I was in the fabric store the other day was really thick and the ones I received from a member at the TP are much thinner and softer.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would get terry cloth and microfleece from the fabric store (do you have a joanns?) Then I'd probably use the 3 step zig-zag, make a square and trim the edge of the fabric as close as you can to the stitching.
HTH!

Oh and the fleece you want is MICROfleece. Joanns usually has a couple of different patterns in the Sew Comfy line. Just ask a salesperson to point you in that direction.

~Kira

·
Registered
531 Posts
I do serge my own wipes. I've made some with two layers of sherpa and some with one layer of sherpa and one layer of flannel. I just got one in fluffymail that was just one layer of stretchy, soft terry.

You can probably just zig-zag close to the edge, or see if your sewing machine has an overlock stitch.

I use microfleece for liners, it's much thinner than the typical "polar" fleece I have found in most stores. I buy mine as remnants direct from the Malden Mills website.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I like the flannel/velour ones best, and I turn and topstitch them, zigzagging the raw edges before turning to slow fraying. Nearly any soft fabric combo would work, I wouldn't do 2 sided flannel tho, you need one side to have a bit of "grip"
Any fleece would work for a liner, prints are usually thinner than solids, and keep in mind after some washing and usage the thick stuff will thin down.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The real difference between the Fleece you find at the stores and the thinner stuff you mentioned is the quality of the materials.
They are all polyester, but something like Malden Mills fleece is much higher quality than your average store bought fleece. I will stay softer, longer with much less pilling.
I make my own wipes with a layer of flannel and a layer of sherpa or hemp fleece. They work great! I do have a serger, but I see that there are already a couple of suggestions to turn and topstich! Good luck...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GranolaMoon
I like the flannel/velour ones best, and I turn and topstitch them, zigzagging the raw edges before turning to slow fraying. Nearly any soft fabric combo would work, I wouldn't do 2 sided flannel tho, you need one side to have a bit of "grip"
Any fleece would work for a liner, prints are usually thinner than solids, and keep in mind after some washing and usage the thick stuff will thin down.
Yes & I must add that your wipes are awesome

·
Registered
728 Posts
I made all my own wipes with scrap flannel I had lying around (old receiving blankets, mostly) Just 2 layers zig zagged around the edges. They don't fray at all and they do the job. What more do you want from butt wipers, kwim?

·
Banned
3,029 Posts
i made all of mine. i bought three packs of baby washcloths from the dollar store and cut up old receiving blankets, pinned then turned and topstitched. they still work great. i squirt them with solution as i need them.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I only have one of those cheap hand held sewing machines and i don't think it does a zig zag stitch. Nor do i know what it means to 'turn' something.
Please help!

Thanks!
Liz

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lizc
I only have one of those cheap hand held sewing machines and i don't think it does a zig zag stitch. Nor do i know what it means to 'turn' something.
Please help!

Thanks!
Liz
I'm not an expert, but I made some wipes last week. I used thin towel material from JoAnn's (in the flannel section) with flannel on the other side. Turned and topstitched (I think) means to sew the pieces with the right sides together, leaving a small opening on one side. Then you turn it inside-out, tuck the open edges in, and stitch around the piece about a 1/4" in, leaving a finished look (and closing the opening at the same time).

For fleece liners, I got some off-white (because I'm anal and I like the liners to "match" the inside of the diapers!) no-pill fleece from JoAnn's. It was on sale for $4 a yard and I got almost 3 doz liners from 1 yard. I made a couple with a scrap of regular cheap fleece, but I much prefer the no-pill kind. I traced a Sugarpeas snap-in doubler because I liked the hourglass shape, but you can cut whatever shape you like!

HTH!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
The best wipes I have I made from T-shirt material. I just sewed a double-section together like a pillow w/ no stuffing. Soft and effective for wiping, and easy. I have no sewing machine.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
You could also just get some Hemp French Terry and cut them into 8x8 inch squares and call it a day. Hemp French Terry doesn't seem to fray so finishing the edges (while it does make them cute LOL) isn't strictly necessary.

Also for materials closer to home you can use regular woven terry (check out your old towels for fabric if you don't want to buy new stuff). I would recommend turning and topstitching those with some sort of flannel if possible.

Wipes are really easy to do and kind of relaxing because you don't have to think about what you are doing LOL!

Steph

·
Registered
426 Posts
I love out hemp fleece and flannel ones. I find that the poly fllece, either Malden Mills or regular or even normal fleece when it gets wet it gets slippery and I don't feel it "grab" the bottom, does that make sense? But both the flannel and hemp fleece do. I do occasionally use poly fleece, the scraps, but I just don't like them as much.

I do have a serger, well when it gets back from being repaired.....I will

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Okay how to turn and topstitch....

Take two pieces of fabric and put the "good" sides so that they are touching each other with the "bad" sides facing out. Sew all around the edges of the square about 1/4-1/8 of an inch in (make sure to add this seam allowance to your fabric when you are cutting out your squares. If you are using 1/8 of an inch add 1/4 inch to the length and width of your square and if you use 1/4 inch add 1/2 inch...make sense?

Okay leave a hole about 1 inch or less (just enough to turn the "pillow" that you have made inside out). Snip all four corners so that they are diagonal (basically cut off the point of the corner but make sure not to hit the stitching). Flip the pillow using the hole and make sure that the corners are pushed all the way out (use a small knitting needle or dull pencil). Press flat either with your hands or an iron (I am lazy so I never touch my iron unless I am making clothes LOL!).

Make sure to tuck the seam allowance from the hole into the pillow and then straight stitch all the way around the edge of the square again making sure you are closing up the hole as you go. Back stitch for a couple of stitches at the end (just reverse your machine to "lock" the stitches in place). Snip your threads and voila! Your very own turned and topstitched wipe

Steph

·
Registered
62 Posts
HEHE Call me lazy
, I just bought a couple dozen of cheap white wash rags from Wal-mart for $3 (I think it is 24 for $3.45) I was thinking about cutting them in half, but dh likes the bigger ones because it is more of a barrier between his hands and disaster.

-Aggie

1 - 18 of 18 Posts