Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 year old son is playing the computer all day long, and I really want to buy him a present that he will like. Can anyone recommend on a nice educational computer game for him? Maybe something a little bit more contributing than the things he usually plays?

·
Registered
442 Posts
My boys have always loved Where is Carmen SanDiego. There is Where in the USA, Where in the World, Where in Time, and Math Facts.
They also love Oregon Trail, Clue Finders and Jump Start.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
IMHO, any game billed as educational will be a waste of money because they are simply less fun.

But plenty of fun games are educational when not designed to be so. If they are engaging enough for my ds to play for more than a day, he is getting something out of them. He's only 7 but the games that attract him are the strategic war type ones. Recently, he was playing something called Pandemic 2 which involved a lot of geography while trying to depopulate the world. So many of the shooting games involve strategy and math, lots of buying and selling of weapons, choosing the right tools for the tasks to get to the next level.

Personally, I like the "puzzle" games. Less killing, more logic. A fun one ds and I did together recently is Electric Box, an electricity themed game. http://www.kongregate.com/games/Twin...s/electric-box

I honestly think you will be wasting your money if you buy something "educational." I know I learned my lesson doing that.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
IMHO, any game billed as educational will be a waste of money because they are simply less fun.

I agree! Except that there are a few - those a few of us listed - that are great fun...
Lillian

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Quote:

I'm not so sure about that,. Perhaps at 9 that is more the case, but DD will happily play her Reader Rabbit and Jumpstart games for hours sometimes. And she really learns from them too, better than from me, cause she doesn't like being "taught".

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

I agree! Except that there are a few - those a few of us listed - that are great fun...
Lillian

Good to know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
I'm not so sure about that,. Perhaps at 9 that is more the case, but DD will happily play her Reader Rabbit and Jumpstart games for hours sometimes. And she really learns from them too, better than from me, cause she doesn't like being "taught".
I'm not sure how old your dd is but I'm sure both age and temperament are a factor. Older kids who play a lot of games know more of what the possibilities are. Boys probably prefer more action oriented games, as well. Also, some, like my ds, are very sensitive to manipulation even from computer games. We've found the educational games tend to be inflexible. Things have to be done in a certain way and in a certain order. I always thought it was funny when ds was younger how he'd play educational games wrong, his goals being so different from the game makers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
my daughter really liked jumpstart virtual world for a long time, its an online game and she can move her character around the virtual world and swim and slide, solve puzzles, run across moving tiles,... and then she earns gems by playing learning games. we have done the kindergarten, 1st grade and the 6-8 year. Overall it is very good. We are also looking for something more.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
Quote:

I'm not sure how old your dd is but I'm sure both age and temperament are a factor. Older kids who play a lot of games know more of what the possibilities are. Boys probably prefer more action oriented games, as well.
What my son enjoyed was more in the way thinking challenges, adventure games - things to figure out and get creative with. There are far too few of those kinds of things around these days - the "educational" games we listed earlier are pretty old - but, unfortunately, some of the great adventure games that weren't even considered "educational" but created fabulous strategy challenges have faded away - series like Monkey Island, King's Quest, High Seas Trader, etc... Oh, well...stuff changes... - Lillian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.