Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make their own laundry detergent and like it? I have made it a few times in the past and it has turned out sooo clumpy and gross. I know it is supposed to not make suds, but I end up looking in my washer wishing for some suds. I just can't seem to imagine that its really getting my clothes clean. I can't even remember the recipe I used, but I think it was washing soda, borax, and grated soap or something like that. I always made the liquid.

If you do make your own and use it often do you find it really gets your clothes clean? do they smell "clean" not perfumy, but just clean?

I really need to start making mine. I wash ALOT for my family of 5 and I think it would really help if I could make my own.

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Yes, I make my own laundry detergent. I use a recipe I found at

www.thefamilyhomestead.com (at least I think that's the web address)

It was very simple to make and fun. It is sort of a gel suspended in a liquid. I'm very pleased with the cleaning, but next time I will add some eo for scent. I've found that I can't fill the washing machine as full of clothes as I would with traditional detergent (i.e. washes cleaner with smaller loads).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
This is my recipe for homemade liquid laundry soap. I modified a recipe I originally found on MDC, and I love it! It always works (it's at least as effective as the Tide powder I used to use), and the clothes smell clean without smelling "perfume-y". (Not to mention, it costs less than $5 for 2 gallons; what's not to love about that??!)

1 bar Dr. Bronner's All-One Castile soap (the hemp kind)
1/2 to 1 cup water
2 cups washing soda
2 gallons hot water (As hot as you can get from your tap)

Grate soap and place in saucepan with just enough water to cover it. Cook on the lowest possible heat until soap is melted.

Meanwhile, dissolve washing soda in hot water and stir well. Add melted soap mixture, stir well and let sit overnight.

This makes a gel-like soap. It doesn't suds up in the washing machine, and sometimes it will separate in the container, so you have to shake or stir it before each use.

I use lavender scented Dr. Bronner's, because I'm addicted to it,
but any scent will do. (I think there are 5 or 6 different scents, so you're bound to find a fragrance that you like.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts