Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My babe is almost 10 months old and I think he is starting to find his crib mattress uncomfortable. He is really starting to like soft things like fluffly down comforters and pillows. He crawls up and lays his head down on them when I lay them on the floor.

I have a really nice Bowron lambskin and haven't used it yet because of the suggested guidelines recommending against them for fear of SIDS and suffocation. On the other hand I know a mom who has used them from day one and her now toddler is trained to sleep on it when they travel, etc. (would be a nice bonus since we travel a lot).

When is a lambskin safe to use? What about blankets and other lovies?

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
I have been looking into getting one for my DS, as I work at a retail store one day a week and it has been harder and harder to get him down for a nap there. I was thinking if he slept on it at home for naps, then it would be perfect to bring there to put him down for naps.

Just an aside, my son already has a "lovey" that is a beautiful blue playsilk. He only gets it in the car, but he rubs it and rubs it, and eventually falls asleep with it in his hands.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We just started using a lamby with ds (almost 7 mo) about 3 weeks ago. The weather is turning here in the lovely NW and it's getting cold. So onto the lambskin he went. He loves it and snuggles in. FWIW he also sleeps on his tummy. It's seemed so snuggly and cozy; I even sneak on when I can at nights
(we cosleep). It seems like the crucial ago for SIDS has passed, even though I know it's still a possibility. I feel comfortable with it b/c I see how much he loves it and we co-sleep, which reduces the risk of SIDS.

On another note, we all get under the down comforter together. Now that he's bigger and more in control, I've stopped worrying about suffocation (just added new worries now that he's mobile
)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yes, yes, yes! We LOVE this one:

http://www.childrensneeds.com/enviro..._lambskin.html

We have used it since dd was born. I never worried about suffocation because it totally breathes. I machined washed it the other day because she puked on it, and it came totally clean. I will never be with out one and I love that this one does not use chemicals to treat it. My dd had such an easy transition from our bed to hers and I think this is the reason. Good luck! I think they are great!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
we love our sheepie... DD doesn't like to sleep without it!

why would suffication be an issue? if the baby is sleeping on her back, how could sleeping on a sheepskin pose a risk? the biggest SIDS risk is sleeping alone in a crib! (and mom smoking while pregnant)

we have co-slept from day one with the sheepie and i haven't given it a second thought.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
why would suffication be an issue? if the baby is sleeping on her back,
Well my DS is a tummy sleeper and he sleeps about half the night in his crib alone. I'm not *too* concerned about the risk, since so much of the SIDS/suffocation stuff seems hysterical (ie. no crib bumpers, no tummy sleeping, etc. etc.) but just wanted to hear from moms actually using it.

I think I'll try using the lambskin for naps first and see how that goes.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
my DS' been taking naps on one since he was a newborn
: He's 7 mos now He used to sleep more on his tummy, but is sleeping more and more on hsi back these days.
:

Its great though, over the summer it never got super hot and sticky
And, from what I've read it should be great this winter too

·
Registered
10 Posts
We love our sleepy sheep! DS has had once since 5months. It has helped him deal with time changes from Hawaii to the East coast, kept him cool in hot, humid weather, aided him in sleeping, and become a great source of joy and comfort. It is my must have baby item. Also there is nothing cuter than a babe on a sheep skin.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
You can machine wash those? Never would have thought! I slept on one when I was a baby that my mom still has
She said I could use it for my dd if I wanted it.. it was kinda grimy and needed a good cleaning. I'll be visiting this weekend, might have to take it home with me.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
You can machine wash those? Never would have thought! I slept on one when I was a baby that my mom still has
She said I could use it for my dd if I wanted it.. it was kinda grimy and needed a good cleaning. I'll be visiting this weekend, might have to take it home with me.
they have to be specially made and treated.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
they have to be specially made and treated.
In order to be machine washable? Hmm.. I have no idea. I'll ask my mom.

·
Registered
411 Posts
i scored at the thrift store and found a whole box full of them at 6.00 bucks a piece. 2 are like the pics Coloradokat posted and the other two are huge it almost fit me. so i use the large ones in the girls beds, i started by covering with a sheet and now that its colder out they sleep right on top. the sheep is almost as big as thier bed. in my opinion it made the girls sleep more deeply and peacfully.
so i guess i have two to sell now.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I had never really heard of lambskins, but after reading this thread I'm really intrigued. DD is 4 mos old and a tummy sleeper - do you think it would be ok having her sleep on one, or am I better off waiting until she's a bit older?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I wish I had a lambskin for my bed! They look so cozy!

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
We have a lamby here too. DS loves it. Actually bought it at Ikea about 6 years ago, but it's come in handy. I don't think it needs to be specially treated to wash, cause a lot of moms over in mindful home management wash theirs all the time. I've washed mine half a dozen times. Cold, delicate, light on the soap, hang dry. It says to dry clean only, but, yeah, right!

I'm actually in the process of ordering a whole lamb, and we can keep the skin and it will be lamby two. Yeah!

DS has used his to play on for months now, since he was about 2 mos old. Don't know why I didn't use it sooner, probably should have. He LOVES LOVES
his! Takes full on head dives into it - rubs his face and bites the wool
. Favorite thing to do after a bath? Naked Lamby Time. Feeling grumpy? Lamby fixes everything. Not sleeping for the babysitter? Quiet lamby time it is.

You get the picture!

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
ds is also 4 months and tummy sleeper...I put him directly on it (I just got out the lambskin a few days ago). I think they're very breathable. Of course ds always turns his head to the side, and he can completely roll over/go up on his elbows now...I dunno, I'm not too worried about it.

I can't honestly say it's made him sleep longer or anything - I wish! However, it is very cozy and soft! I also brought it to work with me the other day (ds goes to work with me) and ds took a lovely nap on it in the middle of the floor in my office
. I think it will be a nice bed-on-the-go kind of thing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by acp View Post
I had never really heard of lambskins, but after reading this thread I'm really intrigued. DD is 4 mos old and a tummy sleeper - do you think it would be ok having her sleep on one, or am I better off waiting until she's a bit older?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.