Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My husband and I really want to stick to a budget, but seem to have trouble doing so....we lost track for a few days and then feel like the whole month is going to be off.  So, I was thinking of trying to implement a weekly budget.  Has anyone else done this?  How did it work for you?  What did you do with the big expenses (monthly, bi-annual, etc.) that only come up every so often?  Right now we need to work on small budgeting goals, and I think 7 days is reasonable.  Please share any experience/advice you may have.  </p>

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
<p>We have a very simple budget right now. Some things are budgeted for weekly, others are monthly. We sit down together at the end of every month and add up the income we expect to bring in for the next month. Add up the expenses we expect to have in the next month and subtract that from the income. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I baby sit from home and get paid every Monday. So, my income is budgeted for the week. This includes are weekly grocery shopping, household items, and gas for both cars. DH gets paid twice a month, so his paycheck is usually put towards monthly bills and monthly savings, which are both paid/contributed to at the beginning of the month.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any excess money leftover after those things are taken care of is used for fun things to do throughout the month. It's not necessarily budgeted for, but it includes things like gifts, meals out, anything we've planned to do with friends, etc. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think it's entirely do-able to strictly have a weekly budget. </p>

·
Registered
83 Posts
<p>I budget weekly. DH is paid twice a month. Our mortgage comes out of the first check, as well as a little savings. The second check pays the bills with most of the savings. Each week I withdrawl money for the weekly expenses. Groceries, Gas, Animals, Baby, Meals out, Household. I use a cash envelope, if there is money for it I also have a car, clothing, and home envelope.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We have enough wiggle room to deduct expenses that pop up. It may mean we make a smaller debt payment or don't save as much. But I try to keep our spending well below our income. It we didn't I would take the expense (say insurance) divide it by the number of months left to pay it, and save that amount every month,</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts