Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it okay to use oxyclean when cleaning the diaper covers? and does anyone use fabric softener? Also, what is your favorite laundry detergent? We use Seventh Generation (and/or Trader Joes Brand), but I just noticed on the Bummis website they do not recommend using natural laundry detergents (and they mention specifically 7th gen) to launder their covers! Thanks

·
Registered
885 Posts
I use either liquid Tide (1 tbsp) or Dawn dish soap (1 tbsp) to wash all dipes and covers. I use Method fabric softner (from Target) occasionally on just my fitteds and pfs to soften them up. If I plan to use the fabric softner, I leave out covers and anything with PUL or fleece and wash those seperately. Haven't had any problems so far!

I have used Oxyclean in the past to treat some bad staining on my pfs, but can't remember if there were any covers in the mix. I do use a tbsp of Ultimate Care Bleach in the cold soak cycle whenever I have poopy diapers. If I don't, DD will get a rash (we have had yeast problems and that is the only thing I have tried that keeps the rash away). Everything gets that - covers, fitteds, pfs, AIOs. After the cold water soak cycle, I do a hot wash (with detergent) and a cold rinse. I don't smell anything (bleach or detergent) when they come out of the washer, so I don't do any additional rinses.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I do a cold pre-soak in Borax. I have used Oxyclean for this when I had trouble finding Borax, but the Borax is far better, IMO. I do a hot wash/warm rinse with Sport Wash or Dawn, baking soda, and vinegar in the Downy ball. On occasion, I will add some Ultimate Care bleach instead of the bs. I am fairly new to cloth diapering, and will try different methods. I've used Tide before, too. I think the key is to not use too much of any detergent. The mamas on here know a lot, and I'm always learning new things to try. I always wash my covers with the dipes, and I used to always throw them in the dryer. Now I line dry them. I also don't use any fabric softener. I have those dryer ball things.

·
Registered
104 Posts
going to try the Borax in the soak cycle. I have been using 2T Aldi's powder detergent and 2T oxyclean knock off in the soak and in the wash ( I soak and prewash then drain and wash) then I fill the fabric softener spot with white vinegar. If I skip the vinegar then diapers are too smelly. I have the covers in with this and pull them out and let them air dry.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i use OxiClean if we have a pretty poopy load, b/c we have a lot of problems with stains. I look around on the internet first to make sure it was ok. Also, there is a baby oxiclean, but I'm not sure what the difference is. I've used all different detergents - Tide Free, All F&C, Allen's, Purex, Dawn, Arm & Hammer....I don't see much of a difference between them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts