Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering this...How does bfing/extended bfing affect ttc? When I was ttc DS2 our first cycle trying we had a chemical pg and the 2nd cycle I did conceive DS but had spotting starting at around 5 weeks lasting through 7 weeks. (I weaned my older son when I was about 6 wks pg). I just wonder if that causes some hormonal imbalances? This year we have had 2 cycles of unprotected bding and no BFP. I am Oing every cycle--but most of my cycles are a little long (recently they are between 32-40 days). We are going to continue ttc and now I'm wondering if I should try to wean DS before trying again. (He is 20 months)

So--does anyone know if bfing affects conceiving?

·
Registered
165 Posts
BFing increases your prolactin level which blocks the production of FSH, LH, and progestrone. I am not BFing, but I have elevated prolactin levels and it was messing my body all up. I had perfectly regular cycles and even LH surges on my monitor, but my charts said I didnt ovulate until after I took medicine to control the levels. Good Luck!

·
Registered
294 Posts
When we were TTC while I was BFing the only issue I experienced was I was O'ing very late in my cycle. My cycles were 28-32 days long, but I was O'ing in the mid-late 20s. I opted for acupuncture to help move my O date to the middle of my cycle and I got PG in one cycle after only a few treatments. We TTC for 3 months before acupuncture. I'm now 25 weeks PG with no complications. I had implantation spotting at 4 weeks, and then spotting again at 8 weeks (my OB thinks the implantation blood worked its way out at that time). DD nursed like a fiend up until about 23 weeks, at which point she started self-weaning.
She now nurses a few times/week and I'm hoping she'll pick it up again after the baby arrives.

I'd recommend trying acupuncture before weaning your DS. It works for a lot of women. The acupuncturist that I went to had an 80% success rate (women getting PG) with 90% of those carrying full-term.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts