Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm debating with myself here. I charted and temped while TTC #1, which happended right away, and with #2, which took 9 months, and I finally conceived the month I threw the thermometer away. Now we are thinking about TTC #3, and I am charting cervix changes but not temps.
The temping is more accurate, but harder with a nursing, co-sleeping toddler. Plus, I got my panties so up in a wad last time over the whole thing it got to where it wasn't any fun.
What do you all do to stay relaxed about TTC?
Steph

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Oh my goodness, I know that charting can be stressful. I actually drove over my BBT with my car.
And I'm not institutionalized.

Temping or no, I think trying to stay busy during the 2ww is really important. So too, talking constantly to your partner about how you are dealing with the anticipation. Warn him/her first, I think, that you are going to be on pins and needles (I think my DH still doesn't quite understand what it's like to not know what's going on in your body) and try to make it clear what you will need in the way of reassurance.

I think I'm going to start focusing not on a 2 ww, but instead looking at the date that is 18dpo much like I would look at the start of a trip. Try not to focus on the days in between but rather on day 18 itself. Maybe even schedule something really fun and exciting for that day so that even if you aren't PG you can still look forward to whatever it is that you've got scheduled.

Oh, and if you do feel like running over something with the car, keep it small and replaceable.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I charted with my past two pregnancies, and with the last one, I got so stressed out about taking my temperature first thing in the morning, that I'd wake up like at 4 a.m. and just wait until it was time to take my temp!
s I'd lay there, all tense and awake, watching the clock and then I'd start worrying that by being awake I was affecting my temp (I'm sure it was) so then I'd be so stressed I couldn't get back to sleep. It was horrible.

So I decided to only temp up until ovulation, and then only once every few days after that. You know, that made a big difference. I was much calmer and relaxed. Related or not, I got pregnant that very cycle.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I charted while TTC #3 and I do not ever want to do it again! It did stress me out alot and it never made any sense to me. I tried to chart to avoid but that did not work as we got PG with #4. We are TTC #6 right now and I will not chart unless I desperately have to. It will be hard with a nursing cosleeping 14 mth old though.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm ttc#3 and charting for the first time. It's actually making me less stressed because I know exactly when I'm fertile and ovulating, and I don't get excited during the 2ww until I get to the end of my usual lp. I'm finding the 2ww less stressful also. Not sure if it's the charting that's keeping me relaxed or the chamomile tea I drink by the gallon . . .

Good luck to everyone!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I tried temping for a month last year when we first starting talking about TTC. It was crazy for me - I'd wake really early, think about temping, couldn't get back to sleep. Then, when I did temp, dh grumbled every morning because the beep woke him up. AND, if our ds was sleeping with us that night, it woke him too. crazy. I just refuse to do it.

So, this time, like with my first, I'm using a fertility monitor. It takes the stress out of it - I know every morning to go turn it on anytime within a 6 hour period (as long as I have FMU) and it will TELL me if I need to POAS, when my low, high, and peak days are. It was awesome then and I will have a good experience this time too.

GL on your decision! Some people really like KNOWING everything that's going on with their body. I, on the other hand, like that a little digital thing can tell me, but I still know to look for EWCM!!

Steph

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think this is a very personal decision. I find, for me, that NOT knowing what is going on is actually more stressful than charting. Though I am a total control freak!
When I wasn't charting I was constantly wondering IF something was happening, about to happen, or already happened. Now....having said that...sometimes I do obsess too much over what my chart says--all the little dips and turns.....but if I can keep that in check and focus on the big picture it is all good. I just didn't like not knowing for sure.

But.....everyone is different. Do what feels right for you.

Dee

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Charting my temps and just temping in general got really stressful for me because my clomid is screwing up my temps. To deal with it I just quite temping. I was doing an OPK and got a positive there, plus continued charting CM so it doesnt really affect anything. If it's too stressfull I just stop.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Not at all- I would be stressed if I couldn't chart! Charting lets me know what is going on and when- priceless for me! Prior to TTC #1 I had an OB tell me to *stop* charting because the stress from charting would keep me from getting pregnant. I feel this was highly irresponsible for him to tell a client such a thing- it is very much a personalized choice and I understand that some women would get too stressed, but certainly not all. I really enjoy charting. Actually, taking my temp in the morning helps get my day off to a wonderful start- I wake up vs. just rolling over and falling back to sleep. Additionally, my first focus and thoughts are of trying for a new little one- I love that! I have charted for all my pregnancies. We also are able to make attemps at one gender or the other due to charting. Charting gives me something productive to do during all the waiting (waiting to O, the 2WW) which helps me pass the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.