Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post this, but here goes:<br><br>
I bought a bunch of Domperidone from New Zealand, to increase my supply. I took it for a week or so about 3 months ago, then completely dropped it. I found it again and decided to take it, because I don't want ds (17 months) having too much soy, and he's dairy-intolerant, so I am now taking the domperidone. 2 pills 3x a day (standard dosage, a little on the low side, even).<br><br>
I've been on the Domperidone for a week. Well, I have been dropping weight over the past week. 2 lbs. I've been steadily dropping weight since May, intentionally (see sig line). But this week I feel very "together" and calm most of the time (I'm also working on eating properly, sleeping enough, and taking a full range of vitamins/minerals--been doing that for the past 6 weeks or so). I also feel slightly spacey sometimes--in a little fog. Not a bad feeling, but a slight high. I felt it the last time I dropped a bunch of weight (again, intentionally) between having ds1 and ds2.<br><br>
If Domperidone increases supply, then wouldn't it make sense that it's increasing my metabolism indirectly? If you're producing more breastmilk, then your body is working harder, and therefore metabolism would increase.<br><br>
Any thoughts? I'm not complaining about the weight loss, but I do need to be careful--2 lbs is a lot in a week, and I don't want ketones from dramatic fat burning getting into my milk (is this an appropriate concern?).<br><br>
Thanks,<br><br>
Mel

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't think so. It works by increasing prolactin levels, and weight loss isn't listed as a side effect (that I can find). Check this out:<br><br><a href="http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/domperidone.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/domperidone.shtml</a><br><br>
Your point about metabolism, however, isn't addressed.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I was on domperidone for a couple of months when ds was first born and didn't notice any significant weight loss. I did notice the head rush thing though.<br><br>
As far as ketones, I think that only happens when your body goes into a state of ketosis and is burning muscle for fuel because you're not eating enough carbs. So if you're eating a healthy (non-Atkins) diet and eating enough, I don't think that you're in ketosis. Weight loss does mobilize environmental contaminants stored in bodyfat to be released, and they do go into breastmilk, so I would be worried about rapid weightloss while breastfeeding.<br><br>
HTH!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Jane, the head rush thing is pretty interesting. I don't feel high, just a little muted. And thirsty all the time, which makes sense.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I took it with my first and know alot of women that have taken it. (I've had a reduction surgery) In *every* case I know of, including myself, dpd makes it *really really* hard to lose weight. So, just the opposite.<br><br>
You might want to get yourself checked and make sure your blood sugar and thyroid and everything look ok....

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I had reduction surgery too. And I'm hypothyroid. I wonder if it's messing with my thyroid? I do feel super ramped up once a day--as if I've had a pot of coffee. It last an hour or two, then fades for an hour or two. I'm sleeping way better too-genuinely tired at the end of the day, rather than feeling super stressed but exhausted.<br><br>
Hmmmm...lots going on.<br><br>
Thanks for the info, folks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts