Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I dont even have my dipes yet as I am still a newbie but they are on my way to me!

I have soft water , we use a water softener at our house, how will that affect my washing methods? Should I do anything different. I have been researching and I think im going to

Wash once with hot water and 1/2c baking soda and detergent
Rinse on cold with vinegar
Rinse again just cold

Does that sound like a good plan?
Thank you!

Sam

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Soft water cleans diapers more effectively and tends to leave less mineral deposits on your fabrics. You need less detergent and additives with soft water. Try just using 1/4 cup of detergent in your hot wash. Baking soda should not be necessary in the hot wash with the detergent in soft water. Baking soda acts as a softener, boosting your detergent's cleaning ability and giving plain water a more slippery property. I use it in a pre-rinse often (before the hot wash), but not with my detergent, because I already have soft water and feel like it is overkill. I also am concerned that it may cause build up on my fleece pocket diapers.
I think 2 rinses is a good idea no matter what your water or wash routine. My stuff comes out cleaner and fresher with less detergent residue when I double rinse.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hi Sam,

I'd say soft water is an advantage. Many of us have hard water that causes problems for us. We have to add water softener to our wash.

There is A LOT of advice out there on how to wash diapers, what detergents to use, what not to use, blah, blah, blah.

The best advice is to keep it simple. Just using detergent in the appropriate amount often works best. (usually 1/4 of the amount stated on the bottle). You may very well find that you do not need vinegar and baking soda. In fact, adding extras to the wash water sometimes creates problems.

Good for you and you decision to cloth diaper your twins.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I would caution against the baking soda if you have soft water. Baking Soda and Soft water can cause a bad reaction depending on the mineral content of your water.
Since you already have soft water then no need to add an additional "softener"

Also, just wanted to add that my SIL is currently using cloth on her twins and has since they were about a week old (used all the baby shower 'sposies first)
It can be done

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.