Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
560 Posts
Depends on the shelter. The one here charges $20 per animal. But, charging per animal, while it keeps them open, it also causes people to dump animals rather than pay the fee. But even with the fee, they never have a lack of animals.

· Registered
3,050 Posts
Our shelter here charges $150 to surrender a pet. It's insane. I get it that they have to pay for the animals' care, but to charge that much really deters people from doing it, I think.

They just built a HUGE new shelter here, too. I suppose somebody has to pay for that...

· Registered
8,855 Posts
The last I heard they don't charge over here, but it is a humane society who does a ton of fundraisers. A few years ago though they turned no-kill, and now I think they work with a lot of foster family volunteers, etc. So, it may have changes as I think they would fill up a lot.

I think what bothers me too is that I would think charging a fee for that would really cause the desperate people to just dump them in the streets.

· Registered
2,388 Posts
In my county one can just drop them off. If you don't want to have to be face to face with the animal reg person there are cages outside the building that you can drop off at.
:

Oh, and our Humane Soc isn't a no kill shelter and they are picky about surrenders. They will only accept fully-vaxed, cute, recently seen by a vet, critters.

· Registered
4,508 Posts
Here it depends. The county pound is a high capacity high turnover kill shelter, and they don't charge a fee. They also have the 24 hour surrender kennels mentioned earlier. The Humane Society is no-kill, and they accept surrenders on a space-permitting basis and charge a fee. The fee depends on the adoptability of the animal. Puppies are less than adults, etc.

· Registered
1,825 Posts
The AC's around here have to take in any animal at anytime for any reason. I heard that one county has switched to only taking in strays and found pets, which has resulted in a HUGE number of cats and dogs being taken to city parks for walks and then "escaping" from their owners. Lovely.

The AC's here are always 100% full up all of the time. We have a huge kill rate here in GA. You can be pretty sure that if you drop your animal off and it's not the cutest, sweetest, baby, rare purebreed, etc. that it's going to be euthanized.

~Julia

· Registered
7,192 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WaitingForKiddos View Post
In my county one can just drop them off. If you don't want to have to be face to face with the animal reg person there are cages outside the building that you can drop off at.
:
Yep. I was there with my sister when she was visiting last time and a truck pulled up with two crates, stopped in front of the cages, and DROPPED the cages onto the ground from the bed of the pick up truck. We went in and looked and there were three pups inside one, and mama dog in the other. Broke my heart. It disgusts me what some people will do, but, I think they're better off being dumped there than thrown out the window of a moving vehical or indiscriminately given away or something. (I was on vacation a few weeks ago and saw a litter of dead kittens strewn along the side of the highway. I was in tears for several miles at the though of someone pitching them out the window. People suck.
)

Quote:
Oh, and our Humane Soc isn't a no kill shelter and they are picky about surrenders. They will only accept fully-vaxed, cute, recently seen by a vet, critters.
I can understand this to a degree, but it still bothers me that some shelters are discriminatory or charge a fee. Sometimes the alternatives are worse for the animals. At the very least they should offer free humane euthanization for the breeds they won't re-home, or for the dogs that are otherwise unadoptable. That's better than them being dumped or treated poorly.

· Registered
4,508 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
At the very least they should offer free humane euthanization for the breeds they won't re-home, or for the dogs that are otherwise unadoptable. That's better than them being dumped or treated poorly.
Even that has a cost associated with it, though.

· Registered
7,192 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
Even that has a cost associated with it, though.
Yes it does, but not as much as housing and feeding and giving vet care to a pet that is up for adoption.

· Registered
4,508 Posts
Oh I know. I'm just thinking of how shelters are funded. Some of them literally do not have the money to offer free euthanasia.

Here there is a really clear split beween the "nice" Humane Society shelter and the city and county pounds. Once place really looks very little like the other.

· Registered
3,050 Posts
What I wrote about earlier is our County Pound. $150 to surrender there, and I am sure that the Humane Society here or other rescues charge quite a bit more.

It does discourage people from doing the right thing, I think. That county pound is also a KILL shelter. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

· Registered
8,855 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by North_Of_60 View Post
It disgusts me what some people will do, but, I think they're better off being dumped there than thrown out the window of a moving vehical or indiscriminately given away or something. (I was on vacation a few weeks ago and saw a litter of dead kittens strewn along the side of the highway. I was in tears for several miles at the though of someone pitching them out the window. People suck.
)

This is how my sister wound up with their dog (who is pushing 17 now and is barely alive...though that's another thread) her husband's sister was driving and in the middle of a thunderstorm someone threw a puppy out the passenger window onto the shoulder a few cars in front of them.

· Registered
5,123 Posts
The no-kill shelter where I used to volunteer and where we adopted both pairs of cats over the years charges $80 per animal to surrender I believe. They surely spend more than that doing a spay/neuter, vaxxing, deworming, flea treatment, any other vet care, food, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.