Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your opinions on vitamin supplements for a 3-year-old? I haven't worried about it at all, but other moms (the more mainstream types, of course
: ) always express surprise that I don't give him one.

I feel like my DS eats a fairly good diet so he should be okay. We are vegetarian, but he eats lots of hummus, eggs, cheese, and milk, so I'm not worried about protein. He also eats a good variety of fruits and veggies (albeit not consistently, but you know, he's 3
). I just don't feel like he really needs a vitamin supplement. Am I wrong? What do you think?

(and if you do think he should take one, can you recommend a good vegetarian one?)

TIA!
-Joan

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
If he's nursing, than absolutely not.

Otherwise, if you feel that he gets enough variety in his diet (especially in fruit and veggie land) than I wouldn't think so (and that's over the course of a week). You probably don't need to worry about calcium and protein, it's all the really weird vitamins and minerals that you'd want him to take in. I'd just read the backs because most of the mainstream vitamins are full of sugar (of course, to get kids to take them). I know my chiro has vitamins for kids and they don't have any sugar,dairy,wheat etc.

I don't give my almost 4 year old vitamins, but she drinks a lot of smoothies with fatty acids, veggies and the like all thrown in.

some people might say too, that some vitamins inhibit the absorption of others and so not to take them together....which would make a multivitamin pointless, really. Maybe consider writing down what he eats and going to a naturopath and seeing what they think.

sarah

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
I give my DS a vitamin and sometimes a liquid mineral supplement. Only because he is on a very strict diet, he cannot have any dairy, or foods with artificial colors or flavors. On top of all that - he is no longer nursing and he is a picky eater. He has also been sick frequently and has issues with ear infections.

If he ate a better variety of foods and still nursed I would not give him the vitamin.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I should have added, he doesn't nurse any more. He weaned about 7-8 months ago during my pg with dd.

Thanks for the input mamas!

-Joan

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
it seems that you already have answered your question for yourself! Trust your feelings; if you think that your child eats a good diet and is healthy and you don't think he needs a suppliment, then don't give him one! I have a vegitarian 3 year old, too, and I feel the same...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts