Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a play canopy for dd's birthday and a bolt of silk is so much cheaper....but I can't sew at all
Will it frey at the edges if I just cut out the panels?

TIA!
:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think so, but I've never seen it un-hemmed. I know there is lots of no-sew options for binding the edges though. Not silk, but I'd probably do that just because silky fabrics are hard to sew. I hope someone knows, because I would like to do the same w/ playsilks. It would be tons easier to leave them unhemmed.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Lightweight silk like the type you would use to make the silk canopy will freys very little. You could also seal the edges with seam sealer.

Kathy

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
option 1: use pinking shears on the edges... will unravel very very slowly!

option 2: 1/2 or 3/8" iron-on tape. Less than $2 at the Jo-Anne Fabrics, found in the sewing notions department. near needles, scissors, etc. I have used this for curtains, with success. [I have a sewing machines, but it was simpler to iron in all of the hems than to keep changing thread colors] Read the directions on the package!
After ironing, it is just like double sticky tape, but lighter and very permanent.

- sleeplessMommy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.