Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size towels do you use at bath/shower time? (What else would I be asking about after reading the other two threads on the subject?) I went through a period of thinking bath sheets were the bomb. Now I hate them as they take up too much space in the washing machine so bath towels are the thing for me now.
My husband bought 5 beach towels for a holiday once. they are so huge they get used as extra blankets. I hate washing them!! Two fill the machine.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If anything I like cheapy thin towels because they dry faster hanging on the towel bar, and thus are less prone to that lovely musty smell.

We have one beach towel, it mostly gets used to dry the large hairy dog after a bath.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Well, I like the lighter ones for my hair. I generally use a heavier one for body, but I don't always end up with one. Our towels could use replacing. Mr Toona and I both have our favorites and we tend to bend over backwards to use them.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Well, in theory I really like the nice, thick normal-sized bath ones. In reality, I find they take too long to dry. I sure enjoy them when I visit a friend or relative who has the thick, plush ones though. Ours are kind of medium-weight so they'll dry but not be too thin. I don't like bath sheets either. It just seems like too much towel to me, and they're a pain to store because they don't fit easily on my shelves without some funky folding pattern.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Since I'm not exactly small, a bath towel won't close around me (or DH). He uses a thick bath sheet, that's his preference. Mine is a beach towel, which is thinner and dries faster (but it's too thin for him). I only use bath towels for my hair, for cleaning up messes and drying the cat.

I hate having a towel that doesn't dry between using, which is why I prefer a beach towel. During the winter I take his towel and hang it over a drying rack next to the heater in the living room or else it would never dry.

As for how much room they take up to wash, how often are you washing shower towels? Ours get washed maybe once a month, or when they start smelling musty. Do you have a particularly small washing machine, or particularly huge towels? I've never seen a machine (in the US) that could only handle 2 towels at a time. I can easily fit our 3 "daily" towels, plus a dozen kitchen towels, washcloths, my entire bucket of cloth toilet "paper", hand towels from the bathroom, and a week's worth of cloth hankies and napkins in one load and still have enough room left to toss in whatever else is at hand.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Bath Sheets! I hate small towels where my butt is sticking out. Especially when its cold out.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I buy the largest size towel, bath sheets.
I'm tall and my husband is 6'2" so we love long big towels .

I'm a nitpicker about towel quality, and i like saturated colors so it's one of my splurges I have all 100% Egyptian cotton by Calvin Klein.

My daughter likes putting on her terry cloth robe.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzyLee View Post
If anything I like cheapy thin towels because they dry faster hanging on the towel bar, and thus are less prone to that lovely musty smell.

We have one beach towel, it mostly gets used to dry the large hairy dog after a bath.
same here. I had thought we *needed* bath sheets since dh is 6'4 and I'm 5'10 so bigger would be better but I found they always had that musty smell and took FOREVER to dry on the towel rack. I bought some thin $1.75 towels at Walmart and I LOVE them.... they dry so quick and they're the perfect size for the kids and dh and I just dry and get dressed so we don't need to wrap ourselves in a towl

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I have standard bath towels. They are not big enough to wrap around either of us, but I have a robe for that so it doesn't bother me. I also only have a smallish crappy rolling thing to store them on in my tiny bathroom, so the bigger ones probably wouldn't work out. I hope to have a linen closet one day

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
We used mostly medium sized towels. I can fit about 7 to 8 in a wash so it's not too bad. We each have hair towels and terry bathrobes as well. DH usually gets out of shower with a bath towel, a hair towel on the head and a bathrobe on the body.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzyLee View Post

Yes, I prefer my cheap towels to the thick ones for this exact reason. I only use beach towels for the beach

·
Registered
69 Posts
I prefer the thick oversized bath sheets. I'm 5'1" and my DH is 6'7" so 'normal' bath towels feel way too small. Then again "prefer" and "have" are two different things around here. Most of my towels are hand-me-downs from my mom and they are regular sized, medium thickness bath towels.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you have a particularly small washing machine, or particularly huge towels? I've never seen a machine (in the US) that could only handle 2 towels at a time. QUOTE]

The beach towels are huge. They are large enough and thick enough to be used as blankets on our twin beds. I have a Boss washing machine which is huge. This is why these towlels are never used for drying.

The towels we actually use are normal bath towels which we have had for years, actually some are from before we were married so over 11 years old. (Is that too long to own the same towel?) I shower, dry then get dressed right away otherwise I would find myself walking around in a towel for hours.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I use a normal size bath towel. Since I've done lots of backpacking, I'm able to dry off with a wash cloth!
I like small, quick drying towels since I always dry off and then get dressed right away or put on a robe, but either way I would never want to walk around in a wet towel! I've also lived in very small apartments so being to store them has always been an issue.

the only time I would want a larger towel is if I was in a public shower and would want to cover up infront of others.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.