Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does milk supply always go down during pregnancy? Is it possible upon finding out you're pg to pump like mad to get enough milk frozen for the length of time that you'd have a low/no supply?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, it pretty much always drops. It certainly doesn't always dry up completely, though! With the horomone surge, you can definitely expect a dip. Yes, it's absolutely possible to pump like crazy so that you have lots stored up for later! That's a good idea, particularly if the nursling is really young!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I feel better now. Ds is only almost six months, and I'm in the midst of a pg scare. I've been feeling queezy and dizzy, but when Dh and I talked about it last night, it seems more like it's related to the fact that I haven't been eating much. I just can't eat sometimes...I've been like this for a few months, but I'm very lucky that my supply hasn't gone down...if anything, I'm almost at an over-supply. I've lost all my pg weight and an extra 15 pounds since ds was born, which is a lot in a short period for me. When I do eat, it's very healthy...I'm not at all worried about the quality of food, just the quantity.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
I'm 8 weeks pregnant and my DS is 7 months and I have yet to experience a supply drop so I think it usually happens around 20-ish weeks for most people.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My milk had dried up completely by several weeks ago (I am about 13+ weeks pregnant now). My ds is 21 months and had been nursing many time a day still before this baby's conception. I think it is a very individual thing about milk supply and pregnancy.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
My supply dropped significantly around 12 weeks and I dried up entirely at 30 or so. My ds1 nursed straight through (but he was 14 months old when i got pregnant so I wasn't too worried about the nutrition aspect of nursing).<br><br>
I think when supply drops and dries up is a little individual, but it happens most of the time, I think.<br><br>
Siobhan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts