·
Registered
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I think so.

Team implies competition, which comes with winners and losers. It is divisive, and I suspect a fair number of compassionate people (including many pro-vaxxers) are not going to appreciate the language.

For example: I am a huge supporter of breastfeeding. I am not sure I would be comfortable with a being called on "teambreastfeeding" however. It sort of implies that not breastfeeding is wrong - and that is not my judgement call to make. Likewise "teamhomebirth" or "teamhospitalbirth."

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think so.

Team implies competition, which comes with winners and losers. It is divisive, and I suspect a fair number of compassionate people (including many pro-vaxxers) are not going to appreciate the language.

For example: I am a huge supporter of breastfeeding. I am not sure I would be comfortable with a being called on "teambreastfeeding" however. It sort of implies that not breastfeeding is wrong - and that is not my judgement call to make. Likewise "teamhomebirth" or "teamhospitalbirth."
I hadn't thought of that. I agree about team breastfeeding, etc. I would be pleased with any mother who breastfed, but feel bad if I was obligated to attack mothers who did not. Because encouraging breastfeeding had become a competitive sport.

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This one is even surlier. http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/04/the-case-against-breast-feeding/307311/

Actually, there is something very interesting in this article. She discusses the research and points out that the breastfeeding studies cannot be properly randomized (just like those dang studies looking at vaxed versus unvaxed babies) and therefore are never really GOOD studies. They are always observational studies. Which applies to almost all vaccination studies. They look at a group of babies who got their vaccines on time and compare them with a group of babies who got their vaccines a bit late. For one example.

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Noting that at least one member here has signed up for the pro-vaccine team via the CDC, I'm bumping up this thread for further discussion.

Is #teamvax a divisive approach? Is it meant to be?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts