Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH wants our son to get vacced eventually. Recent threads have opened my eyes to the fact that reactions still occur in children up to five years old. (I am an idiot, I know. I'm still learning and a lot of the good information just goes over my head, the scientific papers and reports just make my head spin sometimes) So, I was hoping you mama's could help me out with stories, links, and book suggestions dealing with older children and vaccines.<br><br>
TIA, Kelly

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My father was in his upper 50's when he received his tetanus shot and lost the use of his arm the day after for a year until therapy brought it back. Upon reading the effects of a tetanus shot, this is actually a well known side effect that his doc said could not happen.<br><br>
It is very hard to pinpoint when toxins can be at their worst and have their effect. I'm not sure anyone can tell you that with any surety. No one is immune, they just get lucky if they don't get a reaction. After watching over my daughter in the hospital after her seizure after her shots, I decided the game of russian roulette with toxins was not to be played.<br><br>
You may wish to check out this internet show coming up this wednesday on shots:<br><br><a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=356836" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=356836</a>

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Well, if your dh wants to vax I would suggest that HE provide info on what vaxes he thinks are important (many diseases are not dangerous in children, just infants) and the risks. I think it would be really silly to "fully" vax an older child. No reason to risk reactions from vaxs that aren't "important" ya know?<br><br>
-Angela

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It really depends on the strength of the person's vital force how they'll go. Generally little babies have pretty immature immune-systems, and delicate, still developing central nervous systems...that's why all those nasty vaxes can often do a lot of damage.<br><br>
But if an older child has a weak body, has lots of allergies, then they could be a sitter for a reaction.<br><br>
I was 28 when I was first given the MMR and Hep. B vaccines. A fully grown man. What I didn't know was that I had a damaged immune-system due to taking a lot of medical drugs in the past and all my travel shots a year or two before. I reacted very badly to the shots and one month later came down with a massive fever, black diarrhoea and spent many weeks in bed. Some permanent damage was done.<br><br>
So don't let your husband do it!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree with the others: I had several vaccinations within a couple of days of each other before we moved to Egypt in 2000. (Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't get any at all). Shortly afterwards, I started having numbness/pain in my hands. That was five years ago and now I have nerve problems with my hands and feet. I'm 37 and the doctors have ruled out MS, ALS, Lupus, diabetes, circulation problems, etc. The only thing I can pinpoint it to is all the vaxes I received shortly before I started having the symptoms.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Theoretically, an older child is better able to handle vaccines. Just the very nature of having a greater body weight helps the body handle it better. (An adult and a baby get the same dose of vaccine.) However, my mother had the Hep B vax as an adult with a seemingly normal immune system and shortly thereafter developed a painful and debilitating autoimmune disorder, for which we have no family history. So sometimes age makes no difference. If something happens to you, the risk is 100%.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Wow. HepB was one of the vaxes I received when we moved to Egypt. After reading these lasts few posts, I did a search and found this webpage with quotes from various doctors regarding the chronic damage done by HepB vaccines:<br><br><a href="http:/vaccine/quotes4.html" target="_blank">http://www.*********/vaccine/quotes4.html</a><br><br>
Those are the same type of symptoms I'm experiencing: neuropathy, auto-immune related issues, fatigue, muscle weakness. And the start coincides to a T with my vaccinations in August 2000...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts