Votes: 16 7.6%
  • gender neutral

Votes: 68 32.2%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if it's gendered or if it could be for either.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I picked female sounding - but I think it could go either way. I don't personally know anyone named Lyric, but the way it sounds made me picture a girl.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I picked Gender Neutral but if you had "not a name, its a word" I would have picked that, sorry.

As a word name its not bad, at least it has a nice meaning, but I do think it can be hard for people to go through life with a name that is also a word, especially one that isn't traditionally a name. I do tend to like names like that in the middle though, where they can add meaning without having to be used daily.

Were you planning on giving it to a boy? Even though I think its gender neutral in sound I think it is given more often to girls. Alaric is a boys name that sounds similar if you were intending this for a boy.

Good luck deciding!

Edited to add I checked the social security popularity lists and Lyric is 551 for girls, not on the charts for boys so it would appear its seen as a girls name. Interesting that its being used as a name so much. I can't decide if I like it as a virtue name like Hope or Faith, or if it just reminds me too much of English 101.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post

Were you planning on giving it to a boy? Even though I think its gender neutral in sound I think it is given more often to girls. Alaric is a boys name that sounds similar if you were intending this for a boy.
No, I was considering it for a girl, but like one poster said, it really sounds like "Eric" to me so it makes me think it's a boy name.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by oceane View Post
I think an ex-singer of a boyband named his son Lyric, but I guess it's unisex
That's what I was thinking. Wasn't his name Angel or something Angel, anyway, though?

Okay, googled. His name was Ashley Parker Angel so may not be the best judge on gender specific names.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I think it's lovely for either gender, but I lean more towards girl.

And, as to it being a "word" - I'm thinking that names generally are words. Most names are derived from words that are descriptive of desirable attributes, as in "laughing one." In the case of Lyric, it is from from the Greek, lyrikos meaning "song like, singing." And then, of course, the English literal meaning, which includes, "exuberant." Seems pretty appropriate (and cool!) to me as a name.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.