Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds is 11 months old and has been waking every 40 minutes -hour and half lately. We co-sleep, so I just roll over and nurse him back to sleep. I am so tired though and starting to feel growly about having to nurse him so much in the night. I don't want to feel this way b/c I like nursing and plan to do it for a long time to come but this is making me dislike it.
So...my thought is to continue nursing him in the night but every other time he wakes up to give him a bottle with water to suckle to get back to sleep instead of my boob.
Is that reasonable with an 11 month old?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I don't think it's unreasonable, but I suspect he may. Seriously, my DD would scream in my face if I tried something like that on her, but maybe your son will go for it.

I think if he's okay with it, great, but I wouldn't push it too hard or you may find that the cure is worse than the disease.

I'm sorry he's waking so often, I know how hard that is.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I am so there with my 12 month old. Hugs. I tried a soother at night, but she screams very loudly when I try that. and, now she wants a soother during the day! Darnit!

Anyway, hugs, and I'm there with you, only today I'm not growly. But yesterday I was!
:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I would hold off on offering a substitute, as I'm a huge believer in offering the real thing when available. It's not just your breast that he's comforted by---it's the whole package
Most babies I know would not be comforted at all by a plastic substitute when the *real* thing is right there
I can totally empathize with the on-going waking. It's rough rough rough
Maybe keep a sippy cup next to the bed to see if he might want a drink of water sometimes and go from there? IME, he's going through a spurt of some sort (growth or developmental) and/or teething. IME, when I'm feeling resentful, it means my needs deserve some addressing and *I* am the one who needs the changing, not the baby.

Hang in

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.