Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does visiting The Case Against Circumcision forum make you sad? Some days I can't even bring myself to come and look at this forum because I am just so afraid of what I will read. Pre-MDC I thought I knew about circumcision. Although I was opposed to it, I though it was a QUICK procedure. Just pull the foreskin over the penis, make a quick slice, and voila, circumcision done. When I joined MDC I was so shocked at what I read and was STILL opposed to circumcision. Now everyday I learn more and more gruesome facts about it and it makes me so angry and so sad and I don't even want to come look here anymore...but I just can't help it. Last two things I have learned that I have nightmares about are how the doctor "plays" with the baby's penis so baby gets an erection so he knows how much skin to cut off. Other thing I just read that I know is going to give me nightmares is the transcribed piece from the circumcision video. I know that it is part of my plan to keep reading and learning so I can try and "save" other little boys from being a victim but I'm just not sure how I can keep reading and trying to help when the facts make me so ill and repulsed with life. Sorry if this makes NO sense....I am trying to get it all out and have it make sense..but not sure if it's happening.
:

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Sad, and happy at the same time. We're making progress, slowly but surely. I can count one friend, one cousin, and one sister who have left sons intact due to my intactivism. (Not to mention online people I may have influenced.)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I guess I get emotional at times, but honestly I rarely visit any other forum besides this one and the lactivism one. I guess these issues are just where my heart lies.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The thing I always keep in mind is that others pioneered in areas like
-getting the vote for women
-getting the right to home school
-getting the right to access to birth control
-opening up adoption registries
and more.

Today, in this time, I have the opportunity to speak up for babies. This is a privilege and a joy because it must be done and it's the social change that needs to happen in my lifetime. When circumcision ends, no one will get the credit, no one will even really know what happened, no one will send us a card of thanks. . . . but WE will always know and the satisfaction that even one more boy is able to grow up with a fully intact body is so worth the upset and revulsion of facing this day after day. Thanks for everything that you do. . . it inspires and makes a difference in the world.
Baybee

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It is sad to me that I was not given a choice about my body. It is sad that I could not speak to my sister about it before she fought with insurance companies to get them to pay for her 3 boy's mutilations (each with progressivly worse complications. It is sad to see their body image issues at such young ages (3 years old and aware that there is something wrong with his penis).

It is sad that I am afraid to bring it up to my parents because I am afraid of severly damaging my mom's feelings. It is sad that I have to defend my son's right to his whole body.

It is a circle of violence and violence is sad. Sometimes it is overwhelming. Sometimes it is infuriating.

Sometimes you convince someone and it makes it all worthwhile.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I do sometimes have a hard time. I've never seen that circ video. I can't. My son is intact and the thought of doing that to him makes me physically ill.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I will never be able to watch the circ video... reading the transcript was hard enough
Coming here doesn't upset me as much as going to the vax forum does (I was thinking about this last night in bed actually). I think it's because dh is intact and all our sons will be if we have any. With the vaccinations it's more personal because I was vaccinated myself as a child. If I had a circ'd husband or child or was circ'd myself I don't know if I would be able to come here regularly. Some threads definitely make me sad though...

love and peace.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Yes, it does.
I used to be a more regular poster here, but I had to take some time off because I was becoming too obsessed with the subject. Now I can post again.
Sometimes you just have to take some time off to recharge your batteries.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
It's hard for me sometimes. I get overwhelmed sometimes with the sheer thought that it is still legal to do this in this country. The USA which claims to be all about liberty and justice for all...we like to "present" this image of standing up for what is right and just (human rights of course). Yet, we allow parents and money seeking doctors to mutilate little boys.
:

Sometimes I even have difficulty dealing with my DH's circ. Flat out honest about it I can see all the scars and damage which was done because I KNOW what they did. I try not to look at it/think about it if I can. My DH tries not to think about it that much either. He's very proud of protecting our son though. Our son's name is Will and we sometimes call him big willy (double meaning in the UK).

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy
It is sad that I am afraid to bring it up to my parents because I am afraid of severly damaging my mom's feelings. It is sad that I have to defend my son's right to his whole body.

It is a circle of violence and violence is sad. Sometimes it is overwhelming. Sometimes it is infuriating.

Sometimes you convince someone and it makes it all worthwhile.

MDC mamas here saved my son......I thank all from the depths of my heart. I too can relate on not being able to come here though.....just as I learn more and more I become more emotionally bound to those dear boys that are subjected to circ, no matter where they are.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
It does make me incredibly sad and that is why I do not come here too often.

thankfully in my area there is a high percentage of non-circ'd boys and men (our population is almost 70% hispanic).
My FIL, DH, and 1 of his brothers are all not circ'd. (the other brother in law was the 1st born and was subject to all the mistakes my MIL made based on what the DR's told her was the right thing... circ'd, bottle feed, CIO, etc).

If we ever have a boy he will not be circ'd.
In the meantime I like to be informed so I can discuss this with others - like my siblings who have yet to have children.

All this has led to a very awful arguement with my mother.. she circ'd both of my brothers because "well they will look more like your dad" and "its cleaner"
: BY the end she was crying - she realized her reasons were bunk but wouldn;t back down.
Man that was awful... wish I could rewind the clock on that phonecall.

I think I felt responsible for part of it sonce my youngest brother is only 8 and I was 18 when he was born. My mother was extremely ill and other than BFing never saw him - I took care of him always for about 3 years.
I just want to kick myself because I feel that if I had only looked into it - had only searched out the information - i would've discoverd what circ was really about and disuaded my motehr from it.
:

oh well.

If we ever have a boy (ha! if e ever have another child LOL) he will be intact and named Diego Martin.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by njeb
I was becoming too obsessed with the subject.
Oh totally. Somedays thats all I think about when I look at my 2 boys. The thought of it keeps running through my head. Just can't even imagnie.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I feel you...I have the same overwhelming feeling at times, yet I still check in at least 5 days a week. My time here has given me more courage to talk about it with other people. Last night I had a conversation with my cousin (in law) who is trying to get pregnant. Her best friend was in on the conversation, and totally in agreement with me. My was a bit bewildered, and told me I need to get a hobby (that I need to stop reading stuff on the internet)
: However, she did look over at her bf and asked her if there was something wrong with her, because she never thinks about this kind of stuff. Her friend told her that she would when she gets pregnant, and her life becomes centered around her child.
LMAO...I also found out that my MIL got her panties all up in a munch when she found out that "I" (me) was not going to have our son circ'd...as if it wasn't a mutual decision between my husband and I. Apparantly she had to let everybody in the family know.
At any rate.....I love this forum, and it is the reason I have stayed here at MDC, because after a couple weeks of posting in other forums, I wanted to erase any memory I had of this place!!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
It does. But I have to come here and listen to all of you saying the same things I feel, and sharing new information to arm ourselves with. If I didn't have this forum, I think I'd feel alone in this fight, because circ is just so accepted. I'd feel like I was the only crazy one who thought it was barbaric.

But when I come here, I read that everyone else is talking about it with pregnant friends and relatives (or strangers! Go, baybee!
) Or another mama comes and says "My son is intact because of what you all said on this forum"- woohoo!!!!! And it gives me strength to keep doing this. We are going to win this fight.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
It does make me a little sad, but it also encourages me to be active in trying to make changes. I just thank God that I was informed about circ before either of my children were born. I can't imagine the poor mamas and papas who circed a child and later became educated about it. It would be heartbreaking.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by A&A
Sad, and happy at the same time. We're making progress, slowly but surely. I can count one friend, one cousin, and one sister who have left sons intact due to my intactivism. (Not to mention online people I may have influenced.)
I LOVE
your signature quote!!! Attachment parenting is something that I have read much about and try to put into practice every moment of each day. I cannot imagine having the special bond that I do with my baby if I had had his beautiful body tortured by some sadist.

Susannah

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
yeah, it can be hard. Its difficult because people think its no big deal. I understand that its hard to accept that doctors are hurting babies and for no good reason. People don't want to think that can be true.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
These are ways that help me to cope with being an Intactivist:

1. Sometimes i take short breaks from it. DONT feel guilty! Everybody needs R & R. I give myself a week or two if I really need it. Sometimes just a few days helps. I totally shut it off and recoup emotionally and come back afresh.

2. i will often do Intactivist work that is non-emotional. Paperwork is the best. Currently i am working on writing to the top 10 HMO's in the country (top exec's) and explaining to them how many millions of dollars they will save if they drop circ coverage and make the parent pay for this "elective" procedure themselves. This is exactly HOW the circ rates dropped dramatically in the UK. I need help with this too.

Learning about all the disgusting details of circ is the most difficult part...it usually happens when you are engaged in conversation with other intactivists. You don't have to learn it all at once. Take little bites and little breaks, It helps so much.

This is the most important issue to me in my life. I grit my teeth and plough through some days, it does take a toll on me. But i am way too committed to pull out now.
:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts