Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is two and two weeks and he is showing less and less interest. He has never been a big fan of nursing, long painful story. Anyway, he has only fed in the dark for almost a year now. If he can see, he says yuck, and cried any time I asked several times. I got the hint, he wasn't interested, so it became just the morning, before nap and before bed.<br><br>
Now even those times are short, if at all. He makes a noise like he is frustrated and grabs his blanky instead. He always took to the blanky, not the breast (sucks his thumb). That's part of the long, heartbreaking story.<br><br>
My mood recently has been awful, very easily angered and frustrated almost constantly. Almost like pms. This full moon was particularly bad, even friends and family were a mess with people in and out of hospital and all kinds of stresses. I may be under too much stress, but then I thought it might be a weaning thing. I know he isn't taking as much milk, maybe my hormones are affected?<br><br>
Thanks for any help. I'm really hoping I can blame how I feel on hormones... otherwise I really need some time out because I am not an effective human being at the moment.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
My ds1 was usually an an easy going kid, and we almost bypassed the so called 'terrible 2's' completely.<br>
But when i got pregnant, my milk supply decreased, and although he had unlimited access, he was not as interested. I definitely noticed he was more prone to tantrums. There was no doubt about the connection to the dropped milk supply.<br><br>
We are fortunately able to continue the nursing relationship though.<br><br>
Maya

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nursing definitely releases feel-good hormones. I think there are some that are lovey-dovey, some sweet mellow calm ones, and some that help you power through on very little sleep. When you stop nursing, these feel-good hormones taper off. Many women feel nervous, anxious, weepy, mopey, or exhausted during weaning.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Yes, weaning can absolutely cause mood issues. In fact, it's a time when you should be on guard for PPD, and take the usual precautions.<br><br>
Enough sleep, enough help, good vitamins/diet, good company, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts