Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping this is just a case of me reading/ comparing what other babies are doing, but I'm not sure. DD will be 4 months on Friday and I keep reading that she should be pretty social by now. She may or may not smile at a stranger, it's completely inconsistent. Mostly she just gives them a good stare down. She smiles at me and DH all the time, though. Is this cause for concern or are some babies just not that friendly?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My DD didn't smile at strangers till she was closer to 6 months and now at 9 months, still won't smile at everyone. Always smiles for DH and I, but won't for my IL's at all.

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
My 16-month-old is talking in phrases/sentences but still doesn't smile at strangers 80% of the time. She didn't start being "social" while out in public until probably 10-11 months old. I wouldn't be worried.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
My dd has always been pretty friendly, but it depends on the stranger. The stranger has to approach her the right way (no touching, not in-her-face, etc.) and kind of "flirt" with her first from a distance. She likes it if the stranger is REALLY happy to see her - genuinely big smiles and coos at her from 5 feet away or so. Then she gives a return smile, and the stranger can come closer.

But if someone doesn't respect those boundaries, or talks to ME instead of dd - i.e., "Oh, what a cute baby," and then touches dd or leans their face in - no smile! Occasionally she even starts crying. Also, it's like she can sense someone who feels awkward around babies - she doesn't like anyone like that. She gives them the "wary stare."

Dd also loves all babies/children and always wants to touch/talk to/smile at other kids.

Julia
dd 11 mos
(I'll be one year old tomorrow!
: )

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
DD1 would never smile at anyone but family, still doesn't and she is 4.
DD2 will smile at anyone who will look at her. It's normal, every baby is different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.