Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps a weird question, I know. DD1 was always such a chow-hound that this situation never came up. DD2 nurses often (at age 2y 8mo) and nurses several times throughout the night. She does not seem to be hungry in the morning. She doesn't want to eat for a few hours after waking. Is this normal or does anyone else have this issue?

DD2 is really really small, so I worry about these things, probably unnecessarily!

· Registered
883 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to want to eat right when he wakes up. These days we wake up and hustle out the door for a jog, and he's got cheerios and water available in his stroller while we run. Usually he munches on a few cheerios. Then when we get back I give him some fruit, which he may or may not eat, then he wants to nurse again. After we nurse I usually make him some oatmeal, which he's bit by bit eating more and more of. But by that time it's a good 2 hours since we got up.

· Registered
5,039 Posts
My boy eats breakfast with me every morning -- usually eggs.

But I like to eat breakfast every morning. So maybe he gets that from me. I certainly know a LOT of people who don't want to eat breakfast, or for whom eating breakfast is a nauseating experience.

· Registered
626 Posts
My DD would wake at 7:00 to come into bed and nurse. She was down to only one or no night nursing sessions, so her morning nursing session was loooooong and there was lots and lots of milk to fill her up. So she usually didn't eat breakfast until 10:00 or so, and it was more like a snack.

· Premium Member
4,791 Posts
My son eats breakfast with me 2-3 hours after we wake up. I can't handle food first thing, and he nurses like crazy for a couple of hours in the morning, so he doesn't ask for food until he sees me eating.

· Registered
742 Posts
My DD (23 mos.) is not a breakfast eater either--in fact just a second ago DH and I were talking about it, trying to convince her to eat something this morning. She typically wakes around 5-6 am and nurses, falls back asleep, then nurses on and off all morning long. When we just asked her if she wanted some food for breakfast, she said, No, just milk, I'm fine!

Glad to see she is not the only skipping breakfast in favor of milk! And FWIW I don't really like to eat breakfast myself. I'd rather eat an early lunch around 10:30.

· Registered
45,796 Posts
Totally normal!

DS used to have "breastfast" before preschool. When he weaned, it was an adjustment to get used to getting out of bed (after morning snuggles) with enough time to feed him before driving him to school!

· Registered
877 Posts
DS wasn't a breakfast eater until 4. He nursed to sleep, once during the night, and first thing in the morning until a few months after 4.

DD is 2 and really only wants juice for breastfast. She breastfeeds to sleep and then usually once during the night. She'll usually eat something small an hour or two later.

· Registered
558 Posts
DS eats breakfast every day. He usually wakes around 6-7 and has all the "milkies" he wants then we try to eat something about an hour later. If I offer food too soon after milkies he doesn't usually eat much but if I wait he eats better. We do "O"s, eggs, pancakes, or fruit. It's generally a small meal. We do lunch around 10:30 to 12.

· Registered
51 Posts
My son (15 months) is a snacker. I give him fruit or bread in the a.m., usually pears, berries or melon and something like half a waffle or whole grain toast, or a spelt bagel with a little cream cheese. He's a good eater and I feel like I'm constantly offering him different stuff. I typically make a toddler tray with cut up fruits, guac or hummus, crackers, etc. that he has access to and he always has access to the boob or his cup of water. I just make food/milk/water always available so that he can eat according to his own needs. Just like I do. Some days I wake up ravenous and other days I don't feel like eating until the afternoon. Just depends.

· Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad to see that there is such a wide array of experiences here! Thanks for the input. I think that in our situation we have nothing to worry about. Our night usually ends with a marathon nursing session during which I desperately hope that DD2 will go back to sleep. Our morning starts when I give up and get out of bed. So I guess she's already full.

I am also not a breakfast eater, so part of it may be learned. She used to ask for breakfast and then not eat it, so at least she's not doing that anymore. That was aggravating.

She's 2y 8m and weighs 23 lbs., which I know is normal for her but I go through these irrational worrying phases about it every now and then. Then I snap out of it. Thanks again, ladies!

· Registered
1,619 Posts
My 15 mo ds is very tiny as well, and usually nurses from about 5am till we get up at 7:30 or 8. Needless to say, he's not too hungry for breakfast. If we're not in a hurry, I wait and give him breakfast an hour or so after we get up. Even if he isn't hungry, I put him up to the table to socialize with the rest of the family. He's just started drinking from a cup, so that keeps him entertained for a while.

· Registered
838 Posts
DD does but we don't get around to breakfast until 45-60 minutes after we initially wake up. I usually make her eggs!

BTW, she still nurses 3-5 times at night. I have such a microsupply though...

· Registered
259 Posts
ds wakes up at 5:45 during the week and nurses immediately. he then goes to daycare and eats breakfast there around 7:30. on weekends, we try to do something similar. if we offer breakfast too soon after the morning nurse, he won't eat...

But once he does say yes to the offer of breakfast, he usually eats 4 oz yogurt, a whole banana, and often either whole grain pancakes or waffles or a whole grain organic cereal bar. Then some cheerios an hour later...then some more nursing if I'm around! So I don't know if he's a good indicator.

· Registered
544 Posts
DS1 is 4 years old and nurses in the morning when he wakes up between 8 and 9. He is never ready to eat until 11 or 12 noon.
DS2 is just 2 years old and nurses, like a kazillion times at night. Well....maybe 5-10 times a night. He also nurses when he first wakes up in the morning and then probably 3-4 more times in the day before his bedtime nursing. He isn't really eating much food at all. He likes to nibble hear and there but I'm pretty sure he's only eating/drinking 100-200 calories a day besides breastmilk. He doesn't like to eat until he's had some time up...usually 2-3 hours.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.