Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting DD the cool gekko drum currently featured by Magic Cabin. However, I'm wondering if it will drive me crazy if she really likes it and plays it all the time. I'm leaning towards the, "it'll be okay" opinion, but wanted to know what others' experiences have been. ??

Thanks,
Kristen

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
yes, they have drums, and all kinds of other musical instruments, too. I love my children's love of music. DH becomes annoyed by the noise, though. We have a compromise that works for both of us, no loud musical instruments after dark, only when it's daylight.

·
Registered
402 Posts
dd loves her little drum! she sometimes carries all around the house. yesterday she was drumming and singing "elmo's world" song "la la la...*bang bang*...la la la...*bang bang*...elmo's world.." it was very very cute! i only find it irritating when i'm trying to talk on the phone or having an adult conversation.

kids love to make noise, and if it's not with "real" instruments, then it can be with something you'd rather them not play with. pots and pans are another great drum set/cymbals.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
My DS has not only a drum, but 2 maracas, 3 harmonicas, a tambourine, 2 kazoos, a xylophone, 3 recorders, 3 train whistles, 2 castanets, a RapMaster 2000, and shakers of various shapes and sizes too numerous to count.

(You think his musical instrument collection is out of control? You should see ours!)

Yes, it's loud, but it's a joyful noise. It's so fun to see/hear him gleefully marching around the house, singing and banging and tooting and shaking his booty. I don't think it bothers the neighbors--they've never complained.

Of course, DH and I broke them in first with our banjo and bagpipes.
:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
For some insane reason, we are purposely fostering a love of drumming in our kid. Actually going out of our way to MAKE him like it. Everything from the Leap Frog Alphabet Drum, to a wide array of pots, pans and wooden utensils sprawled all over the floor. Are we nuts?

If you have an aspiring percussionist, check out this link. DS LOVES it and bangs his little hands like mad while it's on. We're particularly fond of the Animal Vs. Buddy Rich clip. It rocks!
:

Have fun . . . http://www.drummerworld.com/

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
ds
his drums. we have several and so does he. he likes to drum along with others or just the radio, but will play alone. I love that he enjoys it. DH gets annoyed at times but (I just remind him we all get to listen to him play the same song on the guitar over and over when he practices)

He started banging on a small childs size Remo at just 6mo. :LOL I am thinking of getting him a set of bongos next

now the drumsticks to his toy drum (the Parents choce one, from Grandma) are annoying and I hide those, especially as he starts hitting with them
:

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Yes, my 16 mo old has a drum along with some other musical instrument type toys. He loves them. I'm perfectly ok with him playing with them, b/c honestly I think the electronic toys are MUCH more annoying and I also think that the instrument toys are developmentally better for him.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
One of my favorite things about Daniel listening to/watching Drummerworld.com is that he can totally pick a drumbeat out of a song. I swear I was 30 before I could distinguish one instrument from another. He's not even two and he's there!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Dd got a drum for her 1st birthday. Along with cymbals. (real ones) and I love it. and I love that she loves it. but she's only 1 and her attention span isn't that long, drumming or clashing of cymbols never lasts longer than 5 minutes.

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
My dd had a Leap Frog learning drum, which is battery operated and really annoying. She used it occasionally. I want to get her a real drum but am going to wait. A friend of mine with a boy same age as my dd ruined his natural skin drum by poking the wooden batton right through the leather. Totally ruined. He did not know better. So, I am going to wait to buy dd a nice drum when she is a bit older. In the mean time, we use books and oatmeal bins, etc as "drums" for fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.