Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a double header today, first DS1's speech therapist, then DS2's physical therapist. DD asked when her "teacher" was coming. I told her she didn't have a teacher, and she seemed bummed about that. I'm sure in her 2yo world, it's natural to think since both her brothers get special attention, she should too. The therapists come and basically play games for 30 minutes, which would be appealing to most kids. She also wondered if only boys get special teachers. Oh dear.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
my daughter has a really hard time with Linden's needs. She often says things like "I just wish he'd die" or "I hate him, he's not my brother anymore." We try to make things that are just hers, like sports or something, then we make a huge deal out of it being her activity. We're about to put her into therapy though cause she really is having a lot of trouble with it all.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Siblings of kids with special needs often end up with a slew of their own issues including some raised here.

When I do therapy with my students, I try to include their sibs as much as possible so they don't feel left out, they learn about what we do, and they become part of the team with ways to interact with and help their siblings. We also try to address the "too much help' that's often given by siblings who aren't mature enough to recognize when to help and when to step back.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Now don't get me wrong every day they gripe about something with regards to their brother's behavior but they never ask to be therapized! LOL! I have to try not to make my youngest's life all about therapy. His siblings help make fun happen so it's not work all the time.

I hope you get some good replies to your post!

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 12, 10, 8, and 5

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
We've gone through stages, but with early intervention especially, the other kids have always been involved. They are part of the family, and they are the people who will be playing with the SN kids when the therapists are gone and when mom is busy. So not only do they feel like part of the family, but they are learning how to interact with SN kids in a way that is meaningful and helpful.

When Bre did EI (and even private therapy they were part of) we had two younger girls, Emily is 18 months younger, Rachel is 2 years younger. Then when Sam was in EI, we had bigger sisters and a little brother. The big sisters loved playing the games with Sam, and the little brother just grew up in EI with him. So older or younger, I think siblings should totally be involved with any therapy that is going on...a good therapist will be able to involve a sibling without allowing the sib to take over or feel bad about the differences.

Good luck. You might see if you can get a friend of yours to come over and play teacher with lil sis for half an hour or so, just for fun.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherWhimsey View Post
my daughter has a really hard time with Linden's needs. She often says things like "I just wish he'd die" or "I hate him, he's not my brother anymore." We try to make things that are just hers, like sports or something, then we make a huge deal out of it being her activity. We're about to put her into therapy though cause she really is having a lot of trouble with it all.
Rachel was about four when she told me that she wished Bre was dead. It was hard to hear, but great to know that she needed some extra help dealing with her differences.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DD does usually play along, although therapists vary on how much they get her involved. If the ST brings a board game for example, she plays too. But she is still aware that it's not for her, it's for her brothers.

MotherWhimsey, that would be hard for all involved.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
OH yes, Ian has problems dealing with all of COnnor's "special attention". Because of that, we intentionally avoid scheduling more than one therapy in a day, if at all possible. Thankfully I am the one who takes Connor to his dr appts, so Ian does not usually come (he stays with daddy).

Connor's therapists are all really good at including Ian when possible. His ASL therapist brings specific activities just for Ian that Connor's not *allowed* to do, which makes Ian feel special.

We instituted a rule that Ian is allowed to watch a movie or play his game (two big privileges in our hosue that he really has to earn) when one of COnnor's therapists is here. It's up to Ian if he wants to participate in the therapy or if he wants to cash in the privilege or the movie/game. TOnight he chose to watch a Looney Tunes cartoon on the computer instead of taking part in ASL therapy.

Ian is extremely verbal, and his receptive communication is advanced, so I am able to explain it all to Ian. I'm really trying to instill in him the "protective big brother" attitude instead of the "I'm jealous/resentful of my little brother". I"ll tell you in a few years if that's working

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I get this too, especially with my 4yo, she is very very bright, talkative, articulate and loves indevidual attention. Being the middle child in a family of 3 with a SN younger sister and an older brother that at times we wonder at an ASD,(he screens borderline in a number of areas in the testing) Both he brother and sister have sensory issues surrounding noise levels. Sarah LOVES to talk and LOVES to be loud.
I struggle with this, Sarah and I have always had attachment issues and me having to devote my time between Megans appointments, and calls from the school because of Alex then sometimes she tends to get lost in the shuffle, which is really a tradgedy because I always dreamed of being able to take my children to a museum or a play and have them enjoy it and Sarah would adore either of these (athough I'm sure that my ear would be talked off by the end of the day) These are activities to be honest I wouldn't even dare with Alex or Megan - they wouldn't handle them well, heck I took Alex and Megan to the grocery store the other day - I spent the whole nerve wraking time telling Megan to stay in the cart, and Alex to stay with the cart and not run the allys like a half crazed 5yo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.