Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds (4 1/2 months) is so active now (can roll both ways and just like to constantly be moving) and he doesn't like to be in a carrier much anymore. He spent the first 3 months in a sling or wrap but now it's a struggle to keep him in them. He's okay to be in up in a carrier if he's tired although I have to constantly be moving until he's finally asleep. He only has short cat naps in a carrier (well, he only has cat naps period- putting him down doesn't make the nap any longer!) When he is awake, he doesn't seem to like being confined. I've tried putting him facing out and he likes that a lot more. But not for long because I have him forward facing with his legs tucked up and he starts to hate not being able to move his legs. He is the happiest when he is in my arms, facing outwards.

The problem I am having is that I can NOTHING done!!! He isn't content to be on the floor playing or in his excersaucer for more than 10-20 minutes at a time.

Does anyone else have a baby like mine??? I often hear it suggests to use a carrier if you are struggling to get things done but what do you do when that doesn't work??? My house is falling apart!

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
My kid sounds just like yours. I can put him in the Ergo, but only when I am walking or at the store...that is only when he has stuff to look at. If he gets excited, then like you I have to take him out and hold him facing forwards.

The only time I ever get anything done is at night when he is sleeping...or I can get away with about 15 minutes if I put him into the highchair and give him something to do (he likes to bang/mouth the wooden spoons). Sometimes I sing/dance for him while I make myself food or pick up the kitchen. He's sometimes ok with "helping" me fold laundry on the floor.

Basically everything happens in fits and spurts.

Whats more frustrating for me right now is he refuses to sleep without me sitting right beside him...he will literally open his eyes every 20 minutes to check if I am here. If so he goes right back to sleep...if not he freaks out. So much for getting things done at night!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
My baby has gone in and out of liking different carriers. In the very beginning she only wanted to face out (0-3mo) unless she was sleeping. She loved the Moby because she could face out comfortably and I could still get things done. I got an Ergo as a gift when she was born, but she hated it until she was nearly 6mo. In the last week or so (she's just turned 6mo) she will allow me to put her on my back in the Ergo, which is so nice. I can do yard work and house cleaning comfortably!

Anyway, my suggestions are.. Get a moby and face your lo out. Then it's highly likely that once your baby gets a little larger that he'll enjoy facing in again.. My best friends son was like that as well, he didn't want to face in until after 6mo.. Keep trying, you will find a solution that works for you!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Mine likes facing in with her Ergo, but I can only get certain things done...walking around and putting things away. Lots of squatting! Can't lean over the washing machine, etc. I kiss her head a lot, and keep moving. We also use it to help her fall asleep. Right now it's the only thing that works, besides nursing. Once she's asleep, we (attempt to) transfer her to our bed or her swing (so I can get things done.)

At 4 1/2 months she hated having her legs tucked. We did FFO in the Moby and Pikkolo. But she like facing in, too, legs out. We tried a back carry once at home. She cried.
And one other back carry outside a local park, which was better, since she could look around at "new" things besides our kitchen.

I can't get much done. But she's happier being held. We vacuum a LOT!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
DS has a 15-25 minute time limit on just about every contraption except the car seat and stroller if they are moving.

·
Registered
621 Posts
My almost 6-month old doesn't love entertaining himself for too long. Since he's in my bed, I keep the cosleeper in the kitchen with a boppy pillow and a bunch of toys. He can see me, play and most importantly stay out of his sister's reach!

He digs a nice, high back carry so he can see over my shoulder. I can wrap him and usually get 30 minutes or more in the kitchen if he can see what I'm doing. Honestly, I think little ones just get bored easily indoors and the carrier would probably work indefinitely outside...everybody in my neighborhood leaves home with babe in Ergo.

DD couldn't be indoors in a wrap either. She usually screamed until we got to the street and then fell asleep

Have you tried a Johnny Jump Up? DD was mad for it, bought me like an hour at a time.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Doorway jumpers are good. High back carries are also good (so the baby can see over your shoulder). My 1 year old likes both still. Though since he's old enough to crawl around and play by himself for a while, I mostly wear him to go outside on hikes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
DD is 6 mo and she loves to be in the mei tai on my back. she will let me do just about anything from there. the thing I can't seem to get done is a shower.

Oh, and when she gets too heavy she will sometimes sit in her highchair with some toys (she likes sippy cup lids and tupperware best) in the kitchen i usually only get the dishwasher either emptied or filled with her sitting.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Around 4 months I moved Wyatt from a front carry in the moby to a back carry in the ergo. Now, at 10.5 months, he will still happily stay on my back in the ergo, so long as we are moving. Vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, picking up...those are fine. Dishes, folding laundry, or anything where I stay stationary for more than 5 seconds, no way. He'll start fussing and bouncing because he likes the new scenery. We take walks in the ergo still, and he loves that. But as far as housework, I usually try to find other ways to entertain him while I get stuff done. I use a doorway jumper, I have a little seat for him that has toys on it and I can strap him in for a few minutes, and I have my living room baby proofed so I can leave him to play while I try to get stuff done in the same room as him (but none of those are good for more than 20 minute stretches!). But really, the majority of housework gets done after he goes to bed!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Graysen still loves being in a carrier, but she is also able to entertain herself for short periods of time if I say need to have a shower, fold laundry or I am cooking. I usually just make sure I am her line of sight so she can see me and she is content for 15-30 minutes at a time. There are some days though, where all she wants is to be carried and don't get anything else done until she is sleeping.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
My kid sounds just like yours. I can put him in the Ergo, but only when I am walking or at the store...that is only when he has stuff to look at. If he gets excited, then like you I have to take him out and hold him facing forwards.

The only time I ever get anything done is at night when he is sleeping...or I can get away with about 15 minutes if I put him into the highchair and give him something to do (he likes to bang/mouth the wooden spoons). Sometimes I sing/dance for him while I make myself food or pick up the kitchen. He's sometimes ok with "helping" me fold laundry on the floor.

Basically everything happens in fits and spurts.

Whats more frustrating for me right now is he refuses to sleep without me sitting right beside him...he will literally open his eyes every 20 minutes to check if I am here. If so he goes right back to sleep...if not he freaks out. So much for getting things done at night!
this is my daughter EXACTLY! maybe it's a cancer thing?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.