Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in California and I got a CALL today from the state saying I need to take the baby to the hospital for the Newborn Screening Test.

Does anyone have any info on this?!?!

People who watch too much x-files told me it is a government plot to get all DNA on file! I am just looking for more info!

·
Registered
975 Posts

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I think in alot of states, it's "mandatory", but you can still refuse. You just need to sign some waiver that says you refuse. I know it's that way in TN (my midwife said if I wanted to refuse, I would have to sign something stating that - although I plan on doing the test).

And if you wanted to do the test, you could have a homebirth midwife come over and do it - you don't need to go to the hospital for it.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
You can always opt out. If you don't want to do it just say it's against your religion and they can't make you.

-Angela

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I dont think our state requires it.

We have our mw do it because dh wants it done.

Our first child was done at the hospital. Complete idots!!! You would think the lab for as many babys as they do would know how to do it as painfree as possible. SO WRONG! My mw has since learned how to do it and both of my babies have slept through it even though they had to be poked mutiple times. The lab does it and my baby screams bloody murder.

I also educated myself and gave mw tips

We only do the test once for each child.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
It's MANDATORY for them to OFFER it - not for you to do it....just like vaccines are mandatory for public school attendance - unless you decide not to do them.

mandy

·
Registered
590 Posts
We were harassed from our state after Chloe was born for not getting it. We actually planned on it but wouldn't take her on base and was trying to find someone to do the heal stick with a lancet... not the puncture tool. In the end it was too late for PKU test anyway. BUt we got letters for a while and we would just sign them and send them back. finally we just stopped getting them.

Delaware is a PITA about it

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Our ped told us that a metabolic screening (including PKU) was required before we leave the hospital. I was talking with him about leaving the hospital early. He said if we leave early, that one will be innacurate (may come up with negative results that actually are invalid). He said we can return to the hospital approximately 72 hours after the birth and have it done again then and we will get much more accurate results.

In my opinion, it's only a test. No one is going to make me act on any results. As far as the DNA is concerned, I think that's just something they cooked up to make a good tv show.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageta
In my opinion, it's only a test. No one is going to make me act on any results. As far as the DNA is concerned, I think that's just something they cooked up to make a good tv show.
Actually they will. If you get a false positive they will force you to stop breastfeeding.

-Angela

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
shes right........getting the tests done can be worse than refusing them for religous reasons (easiest way to get them off your back). They can get CPS involved, stop you breastfeeding etc. If you don't want them done, its best to not do them at all.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'm in SD - the only mandatory test is the PKU, though they harass you about the hearing screening like you're poking out your kid's eardrums if you don't do it (but that's not mandatory).

When I asked my (trusted) family doc about leaving early, she said that was fine, but I would just need to bring the baby into the office on day 3 for the heel-prick for PKU. I have a friend in IL that had a homebirth and had DCFS threatening to open a case on her if she didn't get the PKU done.

Personally, I have no issue with the PKU test - and we weren't given any problems about waiving EVERYTHING else (cord clamp before pulsing stopped, eye abx, hep B, vit K, circ, pacis, formula, etc.)

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gen_here
I'm in SD - the only mandatory test is the PKU, though they harass you about the hearing screening like you're poking out your kid's eardrums if you don't do it (but that's not mandatory).
"Mandatory" or not, you can always opt out.

-Angela

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
mandatory doesnt mean you are breaking the law if you refuse it......you don't see amish people carted off to jail every day, because you can opt out of ANYTHING if you say the words "religously opposed".

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Prepare to be ANGERED!

In Nebraska screening is MANDATORY.

There is NO religious or otherwise exemption. There have been 3 cases where families have hired lawyers to fight it, and it has gone all the way to the state supreme court. And the judge ORDERED the test, even though, the babies were toddlers at this point. One family still refused, and their child was removed from the home to be tested.

The only way to avoid it, is by NOT getting a birth certificate. They have tied birth certificate applications to this test.

Scares the SH** out of me. What next, vaccines?

http://www.hhs.state.ne.us/nsp/physicians.htm

scroll down about 1/3 of the way.

And we are supposedly free.........
:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am just afraid of the teenager who was taken by CPS because his parents wouldn't do Chemo again

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
a judge just ordered a stay on his case so he has time to appeal without having to start treatment.

and if you look at your states medical neglect statues you will know where you stand on the law, most states have a section where it says "expections" and most the time religious belief is one of them, so if you deny medical treatment etc on religous grounds, its not neglect.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I just got this:

Quote:
The Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act Amendments of 1996 added new
provisions specifying that nothing in the Act be construed as establishing a Federal
requirement that a parent or legal guardian provide any medical service or treatment that
is against the religious beliefs of the parent or legal guardian (42 U.S.C. § 5106i).
Looks like it's federal? Another link http://www.techlawreporter.com/toa/c...2USC5106i.html

: I don't really understand this stuff, though...

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
Here is a great resource page. They have it all listed out and easy to read. Basically, all but two states allow for "religious" exemptions in most vaccines. Not sure where the PKU test falls, but in most states it falls in the vaccine/testing catagory.

National Vaccine Information Center

Quote:
Philosophical Exemption:
The following 18 states allow exemption to vaccination based on philosophical, personal or conscientiously held beliefs: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Idaho, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin.

In many of these states, individuals must object to all vaccines, not just a particular vaccine in order to use the philosophical or personal belief exemption. Many state legislators are being urged by federal health officials and medical organizations to revoke this exemption to vaccination. If you are objecting to vaccination based on philosophical or personal conviction, keep an eye on your state legislature as public health officials may seek to amend state laws to eliminate this exemption.

Religious Exemption:
All states allow a religious exemption to vaccination except Mississippi and West Virginia.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts