Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to thinking about this when we babysat last night. The boy is 24 months and not AP'd. My dd is 26 mo today. The little boy had a blanket and a stuffed dog that he HAS to have when he goes to sleep, even at home. DD slept with us until she decided she wanted to "sleep in room with toys". She is always welcome to come into our bed when she wakes. Obviously never CIO.

While she certalinly has toys she prefers over others, she doesn't seem attached to any of them. Even when her baby doll (that she LOVES) was left a friends for 2 weeks she asked about it a couple of times, but didn't really seem to care that she couldnt find her.

Just curious- does your toddler have an attachment object? I am wondering if it is less common in AP'd children.

thistle

· Registered
836 Posts
my dd is 2.5 and doesn't have any attachment objects (unless you count me). you know, i have noticed also that it seems like APed children don't have "blankies" and such! my siblings and i didn't have any security things. a friend of mine's dd, who was not APed, is attached to her pacifier and doll. and i mean reeeaaallly attached. we were in a store once, and her dd must've dropped her paci w/o us realizing. when she noticed there was no paci she started *screaming*! so we're walking around looking for it and she's screaming. it was awful. it makes me kinda sad to see kids that are so attached to a material object that they're depressed when it's gone

· Registered
2,765 Posts
My ds has a little dog lovie that he always sleeps with, but I don't think he is super-attached. We use it more to let him know when it is nap time or bed time. When it's time to lay down we say "Where's Kipper? Find Kipper.." and he looks, finds him, hugs him tight, then they go to bed together. Once he wakes up though, he doesn't even touch him again until the next bed time.

· Registered
2,659 Posts
Both of my kids have an object. Tony has a blankie, but if he doesn't have it he doesn't go insane, he just likes it. If I say its in the wash or we don't see it when he gets in bed, its no biggie.

Gabi has a cow that she loves like mad, but if we don't find it we can subsitute it with any other animal that is soft and lovable.

I think each kid is different. I have friends that are total Ezzo and their kids don't use loveys, another friend who is the absolute total AP'er and her kid does have one. It just depends on the kid, IMO.

· Registered
2,081 Posts
My ds currently has two things he is attached too. A stuffed teddy bear and a stuffed duck. He started getting attached around 15 months and now at 20 months he usually insists on having both present when it's bedtime. He wants the duck when he's nursing and the teddy bear when he sleeps. I'm wondering if the duck may come in handy if we want to nightwean in the future. You know....put the duck up on the shelf and no more "milk" until the duck wakes up in the morning
?

· Registered
7,238 Posts
My 14 month old DD has "blankies" that we started giving her early on. DH has always been a "silky" fiend (still sleeps in soccer shorts so he can rub them going to sleep
) So, we figured chances were good that she'd be a texture girl & bought her a few very pretty barefoot dreams "blankie to go" when she was a newborn. She isn't so much attached to them as it's a great cue for nap & sleep time. She doesn't have a blankie unless it's time to go to sleep so when we give her one, she knows it's bedtime. (in addition to the routine, "night night" etc...)

· Registered
333 Posts
My 12 month old dd has a yellow blanket that she curls up and goes to sleep with. The only other thing that she likes to have is my stuffed panda bear (that I sleep with still) when we are visiting family and isn't use to her suroundings.

katie

· Registered
1,515 Posts
Both of my boys have loveys. I encouraged it a lot. Ds2 has a stuffed animal and a blanket, Ds1 only has a stuffed animal. I think it has to do in part how vigilant the Mom is in providing a consistent lovey as the bond between child and lovey grows. Ds1 always smiled at his animal when he was little, but it was me that picked it up and nestled it in everytime we wanted it to be nap time, until it was a cue.

Off topic, we restrict loveys to the upstairs where the bedrooms are, to prevent them getting dirty or lost.

· Registered
2,623 Posts
YUP- and I think they are adorable. Both DD's have my hair sewn on to these cute voodoo looking dolls from http://www.loveybabies.com :LOL They are adorable. My youngest takes the hair and pinches and rubs to fall asleep and my eldest wraps the hair around the finger of her right hand while flipping the doll around her right hand with her left finger. They have the small 4" dolls. I have 2 extra stored away just in case.

· Registered
2,623 Posts
oh, and of course they are still very attached to me and their daddy. I just got sick of getting my hair pulled from 2 directions each night for comfort. I'm very glad I ordered these! I can be much gentler and kinder when my hair isn't being ripped from my head :LOL

· Registered
869 Posts
My dd who is now 7 had/has one she still likes to use when she is not feeling well or maybe really tired. It is my tie-dye t-shirt I use to sleep in. She loved it and I would nurse her to sleep lie her in our bed and then I would get up to do some stuff, one night I took my shirt off gave it to her and it has been hers ever since. My ds does not have one at all. My dd was just as, maybe more ap'ed then my son and she had the lovey. I see nothing wrong with it and never took it as a sign of failure on my part as being an AP mom. I just always viewed it as a peference my dd had that my ds did not have.

· Registered
334 Posts
DS doesn't have an attachment object, other than a stuffed animal he likes to sleep with {but doesn't care if it's not there, either}. Up until he weaned himself a couple of months ago, he didn't even bother with that. We just figured he didn't feel the need for anything like that since he's got us.

· Registered
1,708 Posts
I AP and DS has a "buba" a blanket, actually they are just pieces of fleece I cut up so he wouldn't want to drag his big fleece blanket around everywhere, and he is also a thumb sucker (yes I bf, but he never wanted to comfort nurse) (my dd is was too, but she didn't have a blankie she had MY HAIR!! then eventually she used her hair when it was long enough) DS only wants his baba's when he is tired. He has some really small pieces of fleece that he calls his "cute baba's" LOL

· Registered
107 Posts
I think it's much less common for AP'ed children to have an attachment object, because they are more secure for having their needs met. As most of the posters have said, their children don't freak out if they don't have their loveys. When I've seen non AP'ed kids lose their attachment object, they really freak out- and so do the parents!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.