Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd has just started this thing where she goes berserk if she doesn't get to "pick out" her diaper. I've been letting her choose her PJs at night for a couple of weeks now, and we've had some interesting combinations! Anyway, I think she's catching on to the idea. :LOL Just wondering if anyone else has a choosy toddler.... I don't think we'll ever wear our pastel/white with print diapers again! She wants the bright stuff!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Ben has always preferred to choose his own diaper. He actually learned several words that way. Puls, and nanas were among his first words, for when he wanted to wear his FCB apples or bananas diapers.

And as for wool, he often asks for "memo" which is his Nemo BBB soaker.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holli
So, when I put unicorn diapers on her, I can tell her stories of mystical creatures. I am such a loon!

That is not looney in the slightest, really. I think it's great. There has been plenty of diaper change storytime at our house and it's one of the things I miss most about having a PT'd toddler.

I've thought of the diaper prints and designs (e.g. appliques) and even colors as similar to a picturebook, where you can use the visual stimulus to teach your baby/toddler or just simply talk to them. That's part of what makes diaper changes so fun if you're a CDing mom. As babe gets older, s/he reflects that back to you by picking out the diaper and talking about it.

Karla

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Oh, and I meant to add (to Holli) that I really, really hope that you are able to start diaper storytelling very soon. That appliqued cover on the front page is just gorgeous on your beautiful girl; it works perfectly with her skin and hair coloring.

Oh, and I wanted to add that at Noah's last speech evaluation the therapist noted that Noah had some "advanced" knowledge for his age wrt colors (e.g. he was amusing her by pointing out teal, beige, chartreuse, plum, and silver and the like). I told her that was based on exposure to his colorful cloth diapers-- because in the interest of keeping him entertained during the period when he hated to have his diaper changed, I would point out the various colors of elephants or flowers or what not to him. Once he started talking, I realized he had really absorbed a lot of information during his "quiet" period.

Karla

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yep! Liv at 18 months loves her "i ceam" (ice cream) mutts second and first of all ALWAYS asks for her "fur cass babe" (first class baby) dipes. She loves her new "ba sheep" wool (first class baby wool cover with sheep on the bum)

She also picks out her shoes and pj's

Tammy

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Billy has one diaper he likes and one only. I don't even like the diaper very much. I had actually put it in a pile to sell and he plucked it out. He asks for it all of the time and stands by the dryer whenever I am taking diapers out to make sure it is clean so he can wear it again.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holli
I love hearing this! I am sooo picky about the prints I choose for my diapers because I want them to reflect our interests. This is because I have this bizarre desire to make them part of her learning process. I mean.. nothing else will have such daily reinforcement as diapers! So, when I put unicorn diapers on her, I can tell her stories of mystical creatures. I am such a loon!

I cannot wait for her to choose which diapers she wants to wear!

Holli
You're not a loon at all! In fact, my son is speech delayed and we use his diapers to talk about everyday objects and things, we'll talk about the animals, colors, etc. It's really helped his language!

He enjoys picking out his diaper, I use each diaper change as an opportunity to include some language like "Do you want to wear the diaper with the red kitties, or the blue whales?" He's started saying words like "blue" and loves to pick out his diaper.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trishshack
Billy has one diaper he likes and one only. I don't even like the diaper very much. I had actually put it in a pile to sell and he plucked it out. He asks for it all of the time and stands by the dryer whenever I am taking diapers out to make sure it is clean so he can wear it again.

That is so cute. Evie's too small to have a preference (I think), but Sophie picks which fuzzi bunz to wear to bed. She's undies only during the day, and dry half the time at night, but I'm hanging in there. Denial, maybe.

Jen

·
Registered
762 Posts
Haley (turned 2 in Sept) chooses her diapers, too. She loves her SOS diapers best, especially the one with horses and the one with lions. She has some others she likes but those two are her favorites. She often asks for them!

I also use the diapers as a learning tool. Haley had speech and cognitive delays until recently and we talked a lot about her diapers and what was on them and what we were doing, etc. I swear that's how she learned her animals, their sounds and quite a few colors!

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
ds has been picking out his diapers since he was about a year. it made it much eaiser for him to choose and be happy with the diaper for those horrible diaper regection days lol. he still picks out which one he wants with glee.

it does make for a not so fun chore a blast

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.