Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh, I was just going to call shannon but I deleted her number!
I thought I would put it out here to get some replies to try to save a dogs life!
I just placed my beloved bernese mountain dog mix. He is 6 and is getting too old to be running after the boys. His hips hurt, but he is a herding breed, so pain doesnt stop him. Plus, we are moving into a rental, and finding one with big dogs is too difficult. Plus, some other reasons that I don't want to g into. Suffice it to say, we have plenty of good reasons to place him, we thought it through and this was the decision. We found a woman who is in a wheelchair and she was looking for a companion dog. SHe has a caregiver with her 24/7. We met, they were in love with him. I drew up a "contract" stating that if she couldnt keep the dog, she agreed to find him a good home.
Now, here it is 5 days later and they are saying he is not working out, he is not eating, he is not listening. They want me to take him back. I can't. We are totally in the middle of this crisis with selling the house and moving to an apt. I am not going to put my dogs through having samson back for a few weeks while we find him a home on top of everything else. I emailed some people who might be interested or might know someone who is.
In the meantime, will she have to abide by the paper I had her sign?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I bet this is not what you would like to hear....
We had a similar situation when we were looking for a dog to adopt. I had called the previous owners on days 2 and 3 with our concerns, and on day 4 we asked them to take her back. ( we had not signed a contract) The owners wouldnt take her. So we were left with a dog that was progressively more protective of the children... that we didn't know, and had to try to find her a good home. We did find one, but I feel we were lucky. I just really felt like the previous owners were more in the position to find her the best home.
I understand that it is stressfull and a pain in the butt... but I really think that you are the best person to find your dog a good home. If you really cant deal with it then I guess the shelter would be an option. Or a local rescue agency. I don't think its a good idea to leave a dog that isnt eating and is misbehaving to a ( disabled) woman to try and find a home.
I'm sorry you are going through that. You must be really stressed.
( and yes I do think that the contract she signed is binding... but ....)

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
I'm with village mama on this one. I don't think a person who's only had a dog for a few days is the appropriate person to be placing him. Even shelter dogs are given longer than that for the adopters to get to know them--and those are professionals (usually) who are assessing the animal.
The thing with contracts is that ultimately the only way they are binding is if you are willing to go to court. At that, in this case, even in court, it would be thrown out.
The only option I see other than taking him back and rehoming him yourself or dropping him off at a shelter is to talk to her and try to help her get the dog to adjust. As for not listening, 5 days is NOT long enough to establish a relationship with the dog and expect him to listen (is he doing anything dangerous?) For the not eating, my old saying is "you'll never find the carcas of a dead dog beside a full bowl of food" They may just need to wait him out a bit or try to entice him with some yummy extras. I would also suggest they start him on rescue remedy, a few drops under his tongue every hour for 4 hours and then every 2-3 hours until he settles in. (after that 4 hour stint they can even just put it in his water if he's drinking)

So basically, if the dog is drinking, he may just need some time with eating. This is a big change for him and as new dog owners they need to be patient--if they think they'll pick up a pup who will be perfect in 5 days they're dreaming (again, all of this is if the dog is not doing anything dangerous to the new handler) If they are unwilling to put the work in, then I think you need to take him back and look for someone else but specify to them that it may take him a couple weeks to settle in.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do understand what you guys are saying.
My son has aspergers and it was his dog. He has invented an imaginary dog in the meantime. this isnt a simple issue of it will make the kids sad, yk? If we bring samson back and have to rehome him, it could be really devasting for my son, especially given all the other stressors we are currently under.
It does not sound like the dog is doing anything dangerous, just not listening and not eating. The weird thing is that they were adopting him, and now the caregiver is sayign the dog has to be out by Thursday. I know what you are saying about the disabled woman, but she has an able bodied, 40 year old man with her 24/7 who I was assured would be helping her with the dog. I went into detail at length about the fact that the dog does no ttransition well and would need about a month to adjust. The first day I heard back from her that she was totally happy with him, and this is the first time since, with "I cant keep him"

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
That sucks... I completely understand how you feel as well. I felt so badly when I had to call the previous owners in our situation. The dog we had though was lunging at people who came near our little guys. I was so afraid that she would bite someone, and it made me uneasy about the dogs disposition in general. So for the month that we were looking ( thankfully it only took that long) I couldnt take her for walks if it was just the kids and I. It was awful. She wasnt like that when she was with the previous owners. I didn't want to try to place her while she was so unsettled... And didn't want people coming to our house to meet her. And to be honest... I didn't know her traits and was afraid to leave her in another situation. I learned my lesson! She was also such a lovely dog... I didn't want her to go to the shelter, and I felt trapped.
Anyhow. I really hope your situation works out.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Boysrus,
Kids and theor pets, just so heartbreaking if they have to go separate ways, and I understand you wanting to spare your son any confusion/pain. My eyes welled up when you said he invented an imaginary dog!

Just to add an anecdote, I know doggies can be sensitive and particular, but I have some elderly friends who are as well. My PIL's adopted a poodle from the rescue a few years ago. Within about 2 weeks they brought the poor guy back... because he had peed on the rug. !!? If he did anything besides sit on their laps quietly they complained, and he really was a good little dog! Not to make excuses where there might truly be issues, but I'm just sayin'. It is unfair to you that this is thrown back in your lap, esp where your son is concerned... These people you placed the dog with are really bailing on him, and you. Unfair. Best of luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.