Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's done this four times now. We've only had her a week. This morning, I took her outside and walked her around for a while and she didn't pee and seemed just fine with heading back inside. Within two minutes, she had ducked into DS's room and pooped and peed. What's worse, she doesn't just poop in one place, it's all over the room! We've tried to keep the door shut since the first time, but every time DS leaves it open, she's in there and she poops.

She's pooped outside twice in the week we've had her. All the rest has been in DS's room. Other than this, she's a great dog. Affectionate, friendly, doesn't chew on stuff, etc. What can I do to get her to poop outside instead of in DS's room?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what DH said too (he has a lot more experience with dogs than me). She's going to stay in the crate in the mornings, only coming out to go outside, until she gets used to only going outside. She seems to need to poop every morning, so that's what we're going with.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Yup, if she's only been there a week she should not be unsupervised and allowed to make mistakes. She doesn't know that your house is "home" yet, so be patient with her. Be sure to reward her when she poops outside so she knows 100% that it's what you want her to do. Some exercise outside will help to stimulate her bowels so she goes outside.

Make sure you're using an enzymatic cleaner for those spots so she can't smell it anymore. Once clean and dry, I would feed her in there (just some of her regular food, right off the floor) which will also decrease her desire to potty there. But supervision is key.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
i would crate the puppy too. it isnt mean at all. they need their space. right now it is a training aid. the rule is they can hold it an hour for every month they are old i think. after they are trained it is a great place to put them when they are scared etc. my dog would go and hide there when the kids were too much for her. and she wouldnt pee or poop in the house unless absolutely the last straw. which happened once every 6 months. the puppy doesnt know yet.

abput crates. dont get one that will be big enough for a grown dog, get one that is the right size for the puppy now. if it is too big then they will poop or pee in the corner. when the puppy gets bigger buy a bigger one.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wouldn't do this with my own dog - but you could try matching:
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/matching.html

A number of breeders I know use it so dogs don't poop in the show ring.

I would definitely leash her to you when she's free in the house, exercise her more outside when you want her to eliminate, and work on getting a cue word for elimination too (say "Do it." every time she's eliminating outside, for instance).

Don't forget to praise like she's just won the lottery when she goes outside! Take treats outside with you so they're there once she's ... completed the task

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DogMomforNow View Post
I wouldn't do this with my own dog - but you could try matching:
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/matching.html

A number of breeders I know use it so dogs don't poop in the show ring.

I would definitely leash her to you when she's free in the house, exercise her more outside when you want her to eliminate, and work on getting a cue word for elimination too (say "Do it." every time she's eliminating outside, for instance).

Don't forget to praise like she's just won the lottery when she goes outside! Take treats outside with you so they're there once she's ... completed the task

OMG that matching thing its wrong just wrong. Please don't do that to your dog.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
We crated Oz when he was a pup, and when he *was* out, he was leashed to me. He only had one accident in the house (thankfully!) and caught on pretty darn quick to "going" outside

Of course now, even though he's not leashed to me, he follows me EVERYWHERE. which is fine in theory, but I really don't need him in the bathroom with me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.