Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone who can explain my dog's boarding certificate to me?

Background: I adopted my adult dog from the Humane Society in January. This branch of the Humane Society is not the best at keeping records (they tried to tell me three times that he still needed his rabies vaccine, mixed up charts, etc). In February, I asked for a "boarding certificate" because I had read I should have one on hand as a summary of your dog's vaccines.

Well, I noticed today that the only things on here are DHPP and his rabies vaccine. In my adoption paperwork, it says he also was shot-up with DA2PP and bordetela. He had the second round of DA2PP (which is listed as DHPP on my receipt) in February per their instructions.

So… the boarding certificate reads:
The following vaccinations have been given by the Human Society:
DHPP
Rabies

From what I can tell in my research is that DHPP and DA2PP are the same vaccine, so I think I'm OK on that respect. But shouldn't the certificate say something about the bordetela vac he got in January prior to adoption? Or in other words, if I were to board my dog somewhere, I'd need proof that he's been vaccinated for bordetela, right?

As an aside: of course, my conscience is killing shooting up my little pouch with all these yucky vacs… I think I've found a vet who is willing to relax the vac schedule in the future. Yahoo!
:

Thanks for any help

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Yes, you would need proof of bordatello to board your dog at most places. Can you contact the humane society and ask for an update to the cert? Can your current vet do a test to prove the dog was vaccinated? I mean, what would they do if you had just found the dog? Talk to your current vet.

As for vaccines in general, do a lot of research before you just simply stop vaccinating. A lot of these vaccines help prevent some pretty serious diseases and some are required by law. I am all for selective vaccinating in humans but I don't think I would forgo rabies in my pets or bordatella if I was going to board them.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
bordatello vax is only good for 6 months anyway. Has it been less than 6 months since you think he's been vaxed for it?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I adopted him in January, so it's been nearly six months. Hmm...

I'm headed over to the Humane Society to get this figured out, but I wanted some confirmation about what I assumed was incorrect.

About reducing vaxs, since we've had him less than a year, we haven't had an annual vet visit to address the re-vaccination issue yet. From what I've read, going to a three year booster for DHPP is an acceptable option (I'll continue with the annual rabies vax due to the dangerousness of rabies and it's required by law in MO).

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
not all bordatella vax's are only good for 6 mos (actually in Canada all of them are good for 12 mos) Also not all kennels require it. I don't require it here--for a few reasons, there are literally 100's of strains of bordatella, we vaccinate for I believe 12 of them. Many a kennel cough vax'd dog gets kennel cough--it could be compared to the flu vaccine in humans--there are just SO many variables. There are 2 ways you can vax for kennel cough, by injection or by nasal application--the nasal vax is considered most effective.
In light of todays vax questioning thought process, I would ask around for kennels that are more lax in protocal. If you have a vet who is more relaxed--I'm betting he'll have the names of a couple kennels for you--I know I have 4 different vets who refer to me simply because I don't require kennel cough vaccine (oh, and btw, because I take other precautions to prevent kennel cough, in 7 yrs of running this kennel, I've had one dog contract kennel cough while boarding with me--very few kennels have a record like that. Kennel cough is more apt to occur when there are lots of dogs crammed into a small poorly ventilated space.
All that said, most humane societies vax for kennel cough the minute a dog enters the shelter--so it's likely he's had it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts