Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never, ever seen this behavior in a dog before. Granted, he's a puppy (five months), but he hasn't had an accident in months until this!<br><br>
What's happening: he dribbles pee while he walks around. He does not seem to even notice that this is happening (and these squiggly ten-foot-long lines of pee are awful to clean; I wish he'd just pee in a big puddle!). We've had a hellacious week or so while we've had the carpets torn up and our hardwoods restored, so we've had to be out of the house a lot and haven't been on any sort of normal schedule. He hasn't been to the park everyday as usual, but we've made sure that he's getting out regularly as normal and hasn't had to hold it longer than usual. He's also eating and drinking regularly... I don't know what's causing it.<br><br>
Could it be a bladder or kidney infection? Is this normal in some dogs or puppies? Is it a stage? What the h is it?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
It certainly could be an infection...you can bring a urine sample into your vet and have it checked out. Or it could just be the disrupted schedule has thrown him off his normal routine. An infection sounds more likely to me, but I'm no vet.<br><br>
Good luck getting it sorted out!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
My dog did that at about the same age actually. We got him at about 4-ish months (best guess, he is a rescue) and it lasted a month or two. For me it was like have a potty-training toddler - he would be busy playing and forget that he had to go, and then there would be a little piddle trail behind him until we noticed and kicked him outside.<br><br>
So we confined him to a smaller area of our house with hard floors, kept the mop handy, and took him out frequently. Through what I am sure was a combination of training and maturity of his bladder, the piddle trails were gone by the time he was about 6-ish months. At the same time he started being able to "sleep through the night" and wasn't whining to go out at 2am anymore either.<br><br>
So just a thought. But if you think it is really unusual for him, definitely get it checked out.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Sounds like a possible UTI to me (urinary Tract infection) Get it checked first to rule it out. They will want him with a full bladder so they can get a sterile sample to rule out bacteria/crystals. A cystocentis takes but moments (if a relatively full bladder). Then a complete urinalyis is done and if warranted a culture can be done (if high white count/bacteria seen).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts