Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess which way....

"The Bush administration is quietly remaking the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division, filling the permanent ranks with lawyers who have strong conservative credentials but little experience in civil rights, according to job application materials obtained by the Globe.

"The documents show that only 42 percent of the lawyers hired since 2003, after the administration changed the rules to give political appointees more influence in the hiring process, have civil rights experience. In the two years before the change, 77 percent of those who were hired had civil rights backgrounds.

"In an acknowledgment of the department's special need to be politically neutral, hiring for career jobs in the Civil Rights Division under all recent administrations, Democratic and Republican, had been handled by civil servants -- not political appointees.

But in the fall of 2002, then-attorney general John Ashcroft changed the procedures."

More here:
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/wa...sh_era?mode=PF

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RowansDad
Guess which way....

"The Bush administration is quietly remaking the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division, filling the permanent ranks with lawyers who have strong conservative credentials but little experience in civil rights, according to job application materials obtained by the Globe.

"The documents show that only 42 percent of the lawyers hired since 2003, after the administration changed the rules to give political appointees more influence in the hiring process, have civil rights experience. In the two years before the change, 77 percent of those who were hired had civil rights backgrounds.

"In an acknowledgment of the department's special need to be politically neutral, hiring for career jobs in the Civil Rights Division under all recent administrations, Democratic and Republican, had been handled by civil servants -- not political appointees.

But in the fall of 2002, then-attorney general John Ashcroft changed the procedures."

More here:
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/wa...sh_era?mode=PF
Big surprise here. One of the first things the Bushistas did in 2001 was to fire all the attorneys in the Environmental Division and then replace them with attorneys who two months before had been working for the defendants in the environmental cases. These attorneys then -- again, big surprise --decided that the cases the government was working on didn't have enough evidence or weren't serious enough to go forward and stopped the litigation against environmental criminals.
:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
yea, I kinda had an anxiety attack while listening to this story on NPR a coupla weeks ago. I am just out of comments tho, you know? I am trying to volunteer for my state senatorial nominee, trying to stay in the political know & praying we will have a D majority in the senate & then push those mother fckrs to impeach, right? Impeach Cheney 1st.
~Maria

·
Banned
2,565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainLaurel
Big surprise here. One of the first things the Bushistas did in 2001 was to fire all the attorneys in the Environmental Division and then replace them with attorneys who two months before had been working for the defendants in the environmental cases. These attorneys then -- again, big surprise --decided that the cases the government was working on didn't have enough evidence or weren't serious enough to go forward and stopped the litigation against environmental criminals.
:

I may end up having to leave this country. I'd hate that; my family is here. But this is beyond ridiculous and I don't understand where the checks and balances have gone.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Delacroix
I may end up having to leave this country. I'd hate that; my family is here. But this is beyond ridiculous and I don't understand where the checks and balances have gone.
Forget the balances- it's all about the checks now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts