Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi all,</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I was wondering what the general consensus is of the safety of dollar store items?  My MIL bought us a bunch of kitchen stuff - stainless steel utensils, wooden spoons, glass bowls, etc. from a dollar store and looking at the finish of some of the items, I just feel like they may not be inert enough to cook with comfortably.  For instance, the stainless steel kitchen utensils show a poor finish and only say stainless on them, not stainless steel.  The glass bowls I feel ok about - can't think of anything that might make glass unsafe besides chips or cracks or leaded crystal.  The wooden spoons I actually threw out due to one being broken and an awful smell chemical smell to them. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>You thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!</p>

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
<p>The only thing I use from the Dollar store are the cleaning supplies (usually just their brand of Oxyclean, it works great!) and baggies.  Most everything else is junk.  Wooden spoons break right away, everything feels lighter and more fragile.  Occasionally you can find something good, but most of the time not.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts