Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a really nice dollhouse for my dd who will be then almost 3. She is very much into playing home, she just needs proper accessories. I found 3 dollhouses that I like and was wondering what you and your daughters liked.
Here are my favorites:
http://dmart2.stores.yahoo.net/dofltopbobyk.html
http://www.lormandi.com/ProductDetai...e=Doll%20House
http://www.ronjuneshop.com/sadobyki.html

Personally, I like the most one without furniture but I can only imagine that dd will want sooner or later some of it.

Now, I don't want to spend fortune and $130 already seems over the top for me but I want that she has something that she will play for years. I looked at other dollhouse types and I like the most bookcase one, she won't need to lean and lay on the floor to play with it.

Any other dollhouses there that you would recommend???

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
DD is also approaching the dollhouse age. I like the simple ones like this:

http://www.learningexpress.com/child...6380/proj.html

-Angela
I know those are a classic.I love those kind too but ended up getting rid of the one I had for the kids I took care of.They tend to be kind of deep which makes it hard to set up because as you reach all the way to the back everything gets knocked over.They also end up being kind of dark because of the depth.

Right now I have a pink monster that is a great design.It's really open and airy.My goal is to find an attractive house with great design.Sorry I guess that doesn't really help other than to tell you in my experiance the more open the better.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I like the third one, the kolcraft one, for a dollhouse although the bookcase is adorable!

My dd is going to be 3 in december and we are getting her a dollhouse as well. I had been thinking the one by fisher-price, but I would prefer the wooden kolcraft one, so I might take your idea. :)

I love this imagination stage!!

with smiles

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Costco usually has a fully funished wooden dollhouse for under $150 around the holidays. It looks pretty nice.

DD & DS had this one:
http://www.amazon.com/My-Dollhouse-w.../dp/B00004U3G6

I would *not* recommend it. I really didn't like the felt dolls. They were so frustrating because they didn't really bend enough.

I notice that the first "house" you listed didn't come with furniture or dolls. The other two didn't come with dolls. You may want to base some of your decision on what dolls DD will have to play in them with. The first looks very tall (It looks like the Barbie doll house size) versus smaller rooms.

If you don't mind plastic, I would also consider Playmobil. Playmobil seems to have a longer playlife (in years) than many other toys like it. I'm pretty sure Target and Costco are carrying $30 versions at this point (travel & go, or something) but there are also larger versions. You can also collect Playmobil for years (and it's great to ask other people for because there is a HUGE price range--- $1.50-$$$). Some of the houses even have extensions and you can also add things like pools, shopping centers, etc... if DD gets really into them.

Grande Mansion
http://store.playmobilusa.com/is-bin...nhaus_us&PLS=0

Modern House
http://store.playmobilusa.com/is-bin...ohnen_us&PLS=0

There is also a farm, if you wanted to go that way and I think the Adventure set has a Tree House (plus the many castles)

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
We have the same one as Angela, but we bought it from www.creativedollhouses.com where it's $83 with free shipping. It was my son's 3rd birthday gift back in January.
I love our dollhouse. It has a handle built in so I can carry it around the house, or even to grandma's house (I toss the dolls and furniture into a canvas tote). It is gender neutral which is important to me. My son hasn't had any issues with it, and it's a hit whenever friends visit.
Out of the 3 you picked, I like the third best, the second one doesn't seem to be wooden which sounds disastrous. Or, I have a friend who just uses a plain wooden bookshelf as a dollhouse if you want to go that route for way less $$$. Ryan's Room sells houses, furniture, and dolls separately, and they even have some at Target.
Oh, and with the dollhouse Jules has, all 4 sides are open, so you don't have to reach in from the front.

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Here are my suggestions. Get something that is only 2 stories. More than that and it's too much (and my dd is turning 4 tomorrow). I am definitely learning less is more. When I clear some of the furniture out she plays with it a lot more as well. I would also get one that is not busy and opens from both sides so more than one child can play at a time. I also prefer the solid wood ones with natural finish so there is less distraction and more imagination.

Good luck, it's an awesome present.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
We got one that is a smaller version of this one mentioned above ( http://www.learningexpress.com/child...6380/proj.html )

It came with dolls and furniture and was about $50 at Target on the day after Thanksgiving a couple years ago. I think the brand was Tree Top or Tree House or tree something... It was worth the trip even on a busy shopping day! I'd planned to get some additional furniture sets later but we haven't needed them. Wait and check the ads at Thanksgiving... you might find a bargain!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Those are both cute, but honestly I'd be turned off because they are so very PINK
but that's just me....

-Angela

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Angela,

My dd, who is not really a girly type of girl, adores pink! What we ended up doing, instead of buying one of the two above mentioned dollhouses, I found a bookcase dollhouse in my local hobby store. I had a coupon so I paid for it $18. I also found two beautiful china cabinets for just one dollar each. I just finished priming and painting it. Dd chose the colors of the paints, of course. And surely she decided on pink, violet, yellow and so I painted it these colors.

Imo, it looks lovely but most of all, it is something that only she has, it is unique. We are going to add a few wooden pieces of furniture to it, like a tub and a kitchen sink, the rest of furniture she already put together out of wooden blocks she has been using until now. Plus, she already has a couple of crocheted comforters and cushions for her dolls

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I'm drawn to those fairy kind of tree house doll houses. My grandpa made me a "mouse house" when I was little. It looked like a hollow log with furnature in side. He made it out of those big icecream cartons that ice cream is dished out of at an ice cream shop, covered with plaster or clay. It was so cute.

I was trying to link to the tree houses and fairy houses at magic cabin but it didn't work.

www.magiccabin.com

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Sounds like you came up with a great option, and cost effective! I'm glad your daughter is so happy with it, sounds perfect.

In the interest of dollhouse talk.....For dollhouses, furniture, and dollhouse dolls in general, I like Plan Toys. A lot. We bought the Plan Toys "contemporary dollhouse" before Christmas last year and saved it for my daughter's birthday in March. I bought it when I did because it was on sale for $50 at Scholastic online. I got the mod furniture (the Decor line) for it, too, though any of the PlanToys furniture styles would work. I shopped around hard to find the best price for the furniture sets and shipping....

All their current dollhouse designs are here:

http://www.plantoys.com/products.asp?parentID=14#

We have some Ryan's Room dollhouse accessories in addition to the Plan Toys items, and I just find that the Plan Toys items seem a little better made and last better (the vehicles roll better, etc.) Another whole European dollhouse/dolls/accessories line is the Selecta brand. They are pretty nifty, and pricey. The dolls in particular are very nice and work interchangeably with the other houses.

I've always liked the Terrace dollhouse by Plan Toys, and the new Chalet house (that robugmom mentioned) looks fabulous. The two pieces can be arranged into several different configurations (there are lots of pictures of it in action at the Oompa.com site.) It also comes with a set of furniture, (though the PlanToys website indicates that it's also available as the house alone, every site I've seen includes the furniture) so you'd just need to buy a dollhouse family. The furniture set is available (all rooms together) for about $30, I've seen. It's a pretty good set, very similar to the Decor line, except you get the whole set instead of buying your furniture room by room.

I've seen the Chalet house at IQKids and other sites, and I think Amazon has it, too. http://www.iqkids.com/chdowifu.html

I went with the Contemporary house because it's so open, very modular with the free-standing room dividers and the sliding panels, and I liked the bright accents with the natural wood overall. (Gender-neutral, for those wanting that.) I was buying it for a two-year-old, so it seemed the right shape and size and layout. The mod furniture is easy for my daughter to manipulate (she loves that toilet and tub) and we continue to get lots of use out of it. Plus, I think it's fun to play and set up the rooms.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Hearthsong has a new modular dollhouse that I'm in love with.

It has three different pieces, so you could add on later if you have the space and your kid really likes it. I just wish the roof wasn't pink.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cutic View Post
Angela,

My dd, who is not really a girly type of girl, adores pink! What we ended up doing, instead of buying one of the two above mentioned dollhouses, I found a bookcase dollhouse in my local hobby store. I had a coupon so I paid for it $18. I also found two beautiful china cabinets for just one dollar each. I just finished priming and painting it. Dd chose the colors of the paints, of course. And surely she decided on pink, violet, yellow and so I painted it these colors.

Imo, it looks lovely but most of all, it is something that only she has, it is unique. We are going to add a few wooden pieces of furniture to it, like a tub and a kitchen sink, the rest of furniture she already put together out of wooden blocks she has been using until now. Plus, she already has a couple of crocheted comforters and cushions for her dolls
Yeah!Good for you and your daughter!What fun you both can have adding on stuff you make or find for the house.Now,I'm going to start keeping my eyes open for something to make into a dream house for my gal....well,when she's just a little older and can help me plan it out more.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cutic View Post
Angela,

I did the same thing. I bought an unpainted dollhouse bookcase at Michael's craft store and painted and wallpaperes the inside and outside for my DD. I looked on the website and they did not have the same exact one but had a smaller shadowbox that I have included in this post for you to see.
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/p...eet?pid=e04309
It was a fun project for me and my DD developed an enthusiatic appreciation for "painting". She painted the computer and refridge. It was non toxic paint.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To be honest, I had so much fun just looking at the dollhouses and reviving my childhood. I was obsessed for a few days which one will be the best for dd (and me, let's not forget that I am playing with her
).

I liked many of the ones you mentioned, the Heartsong, the chalet house and some other ones like from the Magic Cabin. What I eventually chose was also dictated by our budget. But the whole process of finding a dollhouse, choosing the colors and painting it was fabulous.

And yes, we got ours at Michael's, too. It is similar to one posted but has four rooms only, it is 25" by 25".

Thanks for all ideas, I really enjoyed it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts