Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits end. I am only 7 or 8 weeks pregnant, and my milk supply has dropped DRAMATICALLY. My 7 month old DS just spent a full 2.5 hour nap switching from side to side and I checked each time he switched -- the breast was totally dry. That has never happened to me before.

Is there anything I can do to increase my milk supply? I understood that when my breasts switched over to colostrum between 20 and 30 weeks there would be an inevitable drop in supply, but this is so early! And my baby is only 7 months old! I don't want to feel like I'm cheating him by having this pregnancy, you know what I mean?

So...will getting a domp or reglan prescription help?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
My gut right off says that taking domperidone or reglan is a huge no-no during pregnancy. However in looking up reglan it's a class B, although considering how many side effects it has on mothers I don't know how much I'd trust that.
I can't find a rating for domperidone.

It's pretty common for milk supply to drop dramatically during pregnancy, even this early. You could try oatmeal maybe? Some women see good success with that. To be perfectly honest though I haven't met a mother yet with a baby younger than 9 months who didn't have to supplement with formula at least part time. Most moms I know lost their supply completely, to be honest.

Here is kellymom's webpage on it: http://kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/16milkchanges.html

HTH.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to cry. I so wanted this baby to have milk for at least a year.

Is there ANYTHING I can do (in addition to the oatmeal)? Is MM tea okay? I know it helped me when I had a supply flag before. What about fenugreek?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would not take anything either and DON'T pump...it causes much stronger uterine contractions than breastfeeding. I've heard that motherlove makes a milkplus tincture that is safe for pregnancy. You could call them and ask. Also www.yourtreeoflife.com has a tea that is made for nursing and pregnancy. ((HUGS)) I totally understand your struggle and hope you can help get your supply up.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
FYI... I'm sure you know this, but fenugeek is NOT safe for pregnancy.
No, actually, I did NOT know that. I am glad you told me.

Of course, I wasn't going to start using it without checking

This is my first ever breastfeeding challenge. I had no supply issues, no pain issues, no latch issues...nothing. I'm finally seeing how stressful breastfeeding can be when it doesn't all go right -- I'm always second-guessing whether DS is popping off because he's done or because there's no milk. Today he kept finding paper to eat and I was all in a panic that he was hungry. I defrosted one of my precious bags of EBM just in case, but he went to sleep for the night with no problem -- I guess I'll give it to him tomorrow. The only time I ever had to think about supply was when I had to start pumping again after a three week break, and then all it took was two days of MM tea and concerted pumping to get my supply right up there.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
If you are used to pumping than you coyld try to pump a little more. I pumped during my pregnancy with ds2 until it drove me nuts. My body was used to the pumping so the uterine contractions were nothing that the baby hand't been through before. My milk supply dropped a lot in the begining and then really didn't drop much more than that at all.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Well then I'm glad I posted that. I'm sorry that I assumed you knew that...

Fenugeek can cause contractions. It always gave me bad cramps.

I would try hydration. Not to over hydrate, but I know that I had a super hard time staying hydrated when I was pregnant. It seemed I was always boarder line hydration. I can't imagine how hard it must be to be pregnant and nursing.. so maybe hydration will help.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Just wanted to offer hugs (((((hugs)))))...

I am just over 19 wks and this weekend noticed that my milk is gone. Nothing, nada zip. My DS hasn't seemed to give up though, he still suckles (I'm guessing for comfort).

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by williamsmommy2002 View Post
If you are used to pumping than you coyld try to pump a little more. I pumped during my pregnancy with ds2 until it drove me nuts. My body was used to the pumping so the uterine contractions were nothing that the baby hand't been through before. My milk supply dropped a lot in the begining and then really didn't drop much more than that at all.
I was pumping regularly until the beginning of May, when school ended...which is just around when I got pregnant. Do you think it's okay to start again? Is it a uterus thing or a pregnant uterus thing?

Also, do you know if pumping might just decrease the amount of milk I have available for DS? I read somewhere that increased nursing has no effect on milk supply in pregnancy, so I'm worried that the more I pump the less milk for DS to nurse. DS does take a bottle, but not very well -- he mostly chews on the nipple and swallows maybe 2/3s of the milk that comes out, with the rest going down his chin. Therefore, if it's a zero sum game -- the same amount of milk whether expressed or nursed -- I'd rather just nurse him all the time.

Wendy, thank you for the information. I really wasn't at all annoyed that you'd made assumptions -- I just wanted you to know that your comment was helpful. As to hydration, I don't think I can do much more than I'm doing...I probably drink upwards of 100 ounces a day. I have a 20 ounce bottle with me in class which I fill up at least once, and then I usually go through a pitcher and a half at home. One of the first things I noticed about my milk supply decreasing was actually a decrease in thirst.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
First,
I've BTDT with my first who was about the same age as yours when I got pg with my second. The two things I would suggest, that I SO wish I had done:

1. Find a lactation consultant. Most have scales that are very sensitive and can measure how much milk a baby is getting in a feeding. They can also set you up with an SNS/Lactaid maybe so that supplementing can be done at the breast. This could have saved a lot of misery, as my dd WOULD NOT take a bottle and ended up with a feeding tube.

2. Would you be open to seeking out donor milk? It could at least decrease the amount of formula you would have to give, if not eliminate it. At the time, I reallyd didn't know who/where to ask about this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i knew you could take fenugreek while nursing but the info i found scared me..

"Fenugreek use during pregnancy
Medicinal doses of fenugreek, not the amounts used in curries, are considered a uterine stimulant. Fenugreek has been used to aid and induce labor [Dehlvi, Bingel 1991, IntelliHealth] and is considered to be an emmenagogue [Turner]. For this reason, fenugreek use is not recommended during pregnancy (particularly late pregnancy).

Fenugreek is used as a morning sickness remedy in Chinese medicine. [Richmond]
"Use only in moderation during pregnancy. A uterine stimulant in high doses, but quite safe as a culinary herb or during labour." [Ody 1999]
Motherlove Herbal lists fenugreek as a cleansing herb which is "too strong or irritating" to be used during pregnancy. [Motherlove]
One study effectively used fenugreek as a source of fiber to control blood glucose and lipid levels of pregnant diabetic women. [Madar 1987]
"A stimulant effect on the isolated uterus (guinea pig) has been reported and its use in late pregnancy may not be advisable." [Hale 2002]
"Water and alcohol extracts of fenugreek are oxytocic. They stimulate contraction of uterine smooth muscles during the last period of pregnancy according to studies on isolated guinea pig uterus tissue." [Willard 1991]
"Fenugreek exerts an oxytocic effect in guinea pigs. Its use in humans has not been sufficiently studied, but could potentially lead to SAB or preterm labor and prematurity secondary to its oxytocic effects. Its use in pregnancy is not recommended." [Rice]
Not recommended during pregnancy. [CommE, Brinker 1998, McGuffin 1997, MHO] "
source: http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

My suggestions have all already been listed, but hugs to you and I hope you find something that helps!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama-a-llama View Post
First,
I've BTDT with my first who was about the same age as yours when I got pg with my second. The two things I would suggest, that I SO wish I had done:

1. Find a lactation consultant. Most have scales that are very sensitive and can measure how much milk a baby is getting in a feeding. They can also set you up with an SNS/Lactaid maybe so that supplementing can be done at the breast. This could have saved a lot of misery, as my dd WOULD NOT take a bottle and ended up with a feeding tube.

I guess the scales might be a good idea, btu so far I'm pretty sure he's okay most of the day -- my supply is at its highest in the morning, and it doesn't decrease dramatically until the afternoon. There are only a few hours during which I don't think he gets enough milk. i suppose an SNS might be the logical thing to do, but pretty soon I'll be working during those hours anyway, so he'll have to be back on a bottle. He did fine with it when I was at school -- there's just a lot of wastage. And now I think by the time I've given him a bottle the past few days he'd been nursing for a couple hours basically straight, so he was at least partly full.

2. Would you be open to seeking out donor milk? It could at least decrease the amount of formula you would have to give, if not eliminate it. At the time, I reallyd didn't know who/where to ask about this.
I might. Until I got pregnant, I was donating my milk, so I'm familiar with how it works. However, I'm hesitant for three reasons: (1) we cannot afford to pay for shipping; (2) my son is allergic to milk, and dairy-free donors are hard to find; and (3) I feel like my son still gets a lot of milk from me and I'd feel bad taking some of the scarce donor milk. If my supply gets significantly worse, I'll re-evaluate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.