Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SIL and her partner are planning to adopt three more children over the next year or so: a 3 yo from Vietnam, a 1 yo from Guatemala, and a 6 yo from Moldova who has special needs (how amazing are they?)....

I plan to nurse my 10 month old for at least another year or two, so I'll almost certainly have milk when they all get here... I want to know is if it is worth it to give them milk? I don't have a huge supply (DS is ebf and big and I always have enough to feed him, but have a hard time pumping even a few oz a day when I try), but I would certainly try if I knew it could help my new niece and nephews. I know that the 6-yo and 3-yo are at least a little unhealthy right now.

Could even a small amount of breast milk help them or is nursing into childhood more about the nursing than it is about our kids getting the milk?....I confess that I haven't done a lot of research about this, I decided to nurse beyond infancy because it just makes sense to me and it seems ridiculous that what is considered "normal" is that at a year (or earlier) to stop feeding our children the milk God designed especially for them and start feeding them the milk that was designed for a cow! Should I pump what might end up being about a shot glass full each per day? BTW, they live a few hours away, so I would probably have to freeze it and give it to them about twice a month.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Well, the WHO recommends a minimum of 2 years of breastmilk, so I would consider donating for AT LEAST the one year old. How does your SIL and her partner feel about donated breast milk? Are they considering trying to induce lactation or anything?

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
The 1 year old definately could use it. Your supply would likely increase with the demand (make a habit of pumping same time every day and you'll have more milk at that time). The 3 year old and 6 year old would benefit but it's not as if they really need it in order to thrive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.