Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Lena-They stole your idea! And BTW, thanks for setting us up. I am such a slacker with these things and I have not volunteered to do it at all.

It is so weird to see the birth stories thread. I can't believe that I'll be writing one of my own soon. Too darn weird!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Thank You Dodo!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Yes, THANKS, DODO!
My slacker self thanks you...

And Lena, YES, you can check your own cervix. And you should be able to feel it with two fingers inserted. Of course, if you do it yourself you probably have a different perspective. Like you can't really calculate the cms dilated in quite the same way as a second person could.

About the safety of it, I'm sure with very clean hands it is fine. But someone else here could have different info. Maybe at this stage of the game some rubber gloves would be necessary? Although, that seems like it would be more of a medical procedure than just simple self-check. Wondering what everyone else thinks??

Anyway, done WAY too much today. The nesting/doing is out of control. Cleaned the basement, installed new shelving, went to an early, early local flea market with DH and DS... and we're all still going strong. I know I will collapse by 8pm tonight. But I just gotta get as much in as humanly possible before DS returns to F/T work on Monday.

I'll try to check back later...

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
When I had PTL with my daughter, I had my dh check me with very clean hands.

I didn't need to know exact cm, I needed to know, am I gaping open or closed... and I was always closed.

Saved us tons of $$ from going to L&D

Kimberly

·
Registered
649 Posts
*Warning, TMI post*

Thanks ladies, I asked b/c I did check myself last night but was then worried about if it was safe that I had done it. This may be TMI. I wanted to check myself b/c I lost my mucus plug a week or two ago, and last night (and since) I have felt very weird. I have a LOT of low preassure that is starting to make my groin ache. There have also been a lot of other things going on that I won't get into. So anyway, I decided to check. I discovered that I am partially dialated and effaced. I can easily fit two fingers in and spread them a little. I know I can't judge how much I am dialted or effaced b/c of the downward preassure from sitting. What concerned me was how low the baby is. I actually felt her head, and she moved when I touched her. I could feel her head just about 1 inch up. I was really suprised. I didn't expect to already have such a start on things at 34 weeks. Anyway, anyone else have any experience with dialating early? I did last time, but I had pre-term labor, so I have nothing to compare this pregnancy to. Thanks ladies

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
wow, lena, maybe you'll be the first!

if you can touch your baby's head, then you only have the closed bag of waters between you and birth. it sure sounds like you're doing SOMETHING...

i forget, are you planning a home birth, U/C, birth center, hospital? if you were my doula client, i'd have you connect with your care provider...

it's not strange to be somewhat dilated and effaced at this time, especially this being your third pregnancy... but it IS a little early to be feeling a head!

let's keep that baby in there just a few more weeks, ok? talk to someone soon, and let us know how you both are doing...

hugs,

katje

·
Registered
649 Posts
katje - that's what I was thinking about. I *have* to have a hospital birth, but I do have a doula. I have an appt on fri, think it's okay to wait until then? I'm not having contractions, just preassure and a little crampiness. Of course this happened as soon as DH left

Anyway, I welcome any advice ladies.

*ETA - it's my second pregnancy

·
Registered
312 Posts
lena girl...i've checked myself these last two pg's...my cervix right now is so high i can't reach it standing (in shower w/ one leg on side of tub), i'd say your li'l finding warrants a call to your care-provider - i don't think i'd wait till friday...btw, when you do tell them you checked yourself, be prepared for shock and perhaps even a lecture on why you and your unprofessional self shouldn't "go messing around up there"...sigh...luckily my dr now is pretty crunchy and knows that i did tcoyf's nfp stuff to get pg w/ shelby and still check myself now, he's cool like that though...

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
:
Wow Lena you can feel her head really????
I have no idea how to check myself(which in my case is probably a good thing)
but ITA with the others to go get checked out...I like Kimberly's idea.....Please let us know what you find out and take-it-easy!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ok, ladies, I will call my OB tommorow. I should probably call my doula too, just to give her a heads up, kwim? I've been trying to take it easy "just in case" I've spent a lot of time sitting at the computer today

Oh, and I have to put this in
b/c DS absolutely loves waving back to it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Found you guys, I thought it was strange when I went to the old thread and no one had posted since last night. We need to post this new thread on the June 13-30th so others can find us easily.

Lena: Although your care provider may frown on checking yourself, there is really no findings that with a clean hand that it would be harmful. I lost my mucus plug last pregnancy just 2 weeks before my water broke. Hope your hubby makes it home in time. Can't wait to get an update from you!

Laurie

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
For your ds Lena
I also think it is a good idea to get checked by your OB. It is pretty early to have the head that low. Good luck!

Hi everyone else! Sorry I don't have much time but I just wanted to stop in and let everyone know that I am still doing good. 33 weeks today! It is sooooo hot out here lately. We don't have a/c because it typically doesn;t get above 75 or 80 even in the summer but we have had some 90 degree days recently. The fans have been running a lot!

I am feeling a little stressed as our office has slowed down a little and we just hired someone so not only are we slower but now we have an employee to pay!
We really needed to hire her though if I am going to be staying home with the baby for awhile. I guess we will just have to tighten our purse strings a little more.

I got my car seat yesterday! Now all I have to do is figure out how to secure it in the car... Do you put it in the back passenger seat or driver's seat, or in the middle (lap belt only)? We got a Britax Roundabout from babystyle.com (on sale right now!
) It looks so big for a newborn. Has anyone else used this particular seat. All the reviews I have read are great so I am sure it will work fine...

My baby shower is this Saturday. It seems way early but I guess it's not too early. July can be so busy for people with kids out of school and July 4th, etc. I am excited but a little bummed that only one person actually bought anything off of my registry.
I can't wait to see everyone though!
I have never had a shower for anything in my life! It will be odd to be the one that everyone is fussing over.

Any one else having/had a baby shower?

Bears, I am praying for a safe trip for your dh. I am sure everything will be fine.

Talk to you ladies later!
Cheryl

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lena_girl
hee hee, just wanted to ask if anyone saw the new threads on the July board? Looks like they thought our seperate birth stories/congrats threads were good ideas

Lena :LOL I just read it in their board and they even gave you credit!...:LOL..that was cute....cool!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wow!
Thanks for the new thread! Wonder how many days we'll get out of this one?

Lena!!!!!!! Wow! You'll be on my mind this evening for sure. Does it make you want to sit with your legs crossed? You know, just to hold in everything for as long as possible?
Really, though, you guys, I had no idea that you could lose your mucus plug (what a beaut of a term) so early in the game before your delivery........with DD, I lost mine the day of and just sort of figured that that's how it goes. I'm betting the OB will have you come in just to check things out..........and heck, so what if you mentioned that you checked yourself out? The worst you could get is a lecture. It's not like you wouldn't have done it if you didn't think it was a good idea anyway. And you know, it's good you felt her head and not her rump. For what it's worth.

DD is having a blast with my folks on their farm and I'm feeling more relaxed than I have in quite a while. I've really slowed down over the last few days with her gone. It's going to be difficult to pick the pace back up again to keep her sufficiently entertained when she gets back tomorrow. Especially when you consider that she's had undivided, completely devoted attention from my folks. Oh, well. A kid's gotta get spoiled somewhere or other and who better to do it than grandparents?

The first of my sunflowers in my yard will be fully open tomorrow. It's a deep chocolaty marroon color. Very extravagent and perfect timing for the solstice.

-Leah

·
Registered
209 Posts
naturegirl,

we used a Britax Roundabout on our 2nd when she was a newborn. although, she was almost 11 lbs, she still looked too small and wobbly for it. i believe the directions recommend putting a towel or something underneath it when it is in the rear facing direction for an infant. we did that, but it still looked uncomfortable. i think we will probably use some kind of infant type of carseat in the beginning, but i am not sure, yet.

wow, lena you should like you are getting very close. hopefully, your baby will stay put a couple more weeks and your dh will return soon.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Not much time tonight, ladies. I have to drag myself to bed. SOooooo exhausted....

But I NEEDED to write to LENA! Definitely call the Ob in the am. I ditto that suggestion. I wouldn't worry much about the doc's feelings about your checking yourself. Plus, you don't even have to mention it. You could just tell him/her your other symptoms.

Perhaps start writing down some of the other things that have been going on for you-just to keep track for yourself and your practitioner.

You could be the first, Lena! Please take good care of yourself and let us all know what your doc says in the morning...lots of love and hugs to you right now!

1 - 20 of 164 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.