Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not putting anything on ds's cord stump because it isn't infected and i don't see any reason to (and i've heard this makes it take longer to fall off). i know that medical wisdom says not to bathe dc until the cord comes off, but i think this might be a lot of hooey. does anyone know if there's any credit behind the don't bathe baby until cord falls off thing?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
the point is you want to keep the cord dry b/c wetness promotes bacterial growth. both my kids really liked getting in the water from day 1, so we took baths (just water) even when thier cords were on- just dried off really well after. with dd her cord got REALLY stinky (because of the heat i think), so i put breastmilk in it. with both of them their cords fell off around day 3, but were still scabby for a week or two after that.

also, kind of ot but they dont *need* to be bathed right away- i only did it because its enjoyable. definitely they really really dont need soap or any baby products b/c their skin is so sensitive. and the crap that is in most baby products is soooo gross (petroleum byproducts, artificial scents etc). also my dd's skin gets dry if she takes too many baths, so we limit them to 1x wk or so.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
We bathed our boys with cord still attached without a problem. Just once or twice with water only though.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
If we HAVE to bathe them we do. But babies don't usually get dirty (it's not like they are rolling around in the dirt like the older kids!). So we fully bathe once every week or two. I use a wrag to "spot" clean inbetween.

However if you just dry cord area good after a bath, it should not be a problem (never has been for us). Personally, I swab with alcohol after a bath or when area gets really nasty. I know they say not to, but I also know that alcohol kills bacteria and germs, so I find it necessary (only when it has gotten dirty or wet).

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
Everything I've read, and my midwives said teh same thing- that it is an old wives' tale and that you can bathe a baby before the stump falls off. My midwives give their clients an herbal bath for mama and baby postpartum. You hsouldn't put anything on it though. They did a study and babies who had alcohol put on their stump took longer for the stump to heal and got more infections, probably because the alcohol killed both godo and bad bacteria.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
We bathed ds before his cord fell off, I wanted to do a leboyer bath after the birth..but it wasnt possible. Ds's cord fell off on day 5.....after his bath i just dried it really good and used some alcohol on it to ensure no bacteria were hanging around.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Am I the only person who doesn't bathe baby? I did with my first two, but I don't think Noah got more than a wet cloth until he was 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Chantel, I think it depends on how many baths mom takes. I like to take baths postpartum and my babies just come in with me!

·
Registered
679 Posts
We were told in our hospital birthing classes a few years ago (in Montreal) that baths are just fine even before the cord is off, just dry the area well after. They also pointed out that baths arent necessary.

I often brought my babies in with me (after I got 20 minutes or so to relax myself DH would hand them in) and they loved it. But it was more about the fun than the cleaning. Other than that we spot clean as needed.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I always try to think about a pig, for instance, birthing and how the mommy pig cares for the umbilical cord after the birth. Does she forgo baths? Does she keep the cord snipped close to the body w/a pair of sterile scissors?

I cut the cord w/clean scissors, hot and soapy water, and then I really didn't concern myself w/it too much. We did bathe together the next day, only b/c it was enjoyable, but not because of necessity. And I didn't put anything on it, except once or twice when it smelled off, so I squirted some bm on it. IIRC, his cord fell off day 3.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyD
I always try to think about a pig, for instance, birthing and how the mommy pig cares for the umbilical cord after the birth. Does she forgo baths? Does she keep the cord snipped close to the body w/a pair of sterile scissors?
I do the same thing, except with goats.
After seeing several goat kids being born on my farm this January... We didn't cut the cords at all. The cords broke on the way out (mama births standing up and baby drops to the ground - cord is somehow broken in that process, as I never saw one stay attached). Some goat people say to trim the cord to like 1" and apply some disinfectant to it, but we never touched them. Some were probably 3-4" long, but we had ZERO cord infections out of 16 kids born. And these are goats that lay down in poop! (goat poop is little pellets that go everywhere and they poop like everywhere they go, so there is no possible way to have a goat poop-free area) Also, if it rains, the goat mamas don't keep the kid's cord from getting wet.

I haven't dealt with a human baby cord yet (DS was still in the NICU when his fell off), but I plan to just leave it alone and not worry about it really. If I want to bathe my baby, I will, cord and all.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Totally OT, but, man do I love goats!! We get raw goat milk once a week and it is the highlight of my week to go to their farm and blow 2 hrs there just loving goats.

In fact, we have put our house on the market so that we can move to a place that allows goats.

Give those goats some good neck rubs for me

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I say it really doesn't matter. Water is very drying to the skin anyway, so once the babe is dried off, "wetness" shouldn't really matter too much. Bath if you want, dont if you dont!

I didnt get very many baths, so...neither did my babe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts