Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not going to post a disclaimer because this is a breastfeeding board so if you don't want to read it or get offended then just don't read it and we'll both be happy.

I hear SOOOOO much of babies with reflux. Maybe I'm wrong (and I totally admit I might be) but is this because of formula use? I just cannot believe that we as a species have so many babies who are sick with reflux and that this is normal. I mean back 200 years ago they wouldn't have had prevacid or zantac and I'm sure babies weren't sitting around in agony. So is MOST reflux caused by formula use? If so, how can mothers live with themselves? How can people choose not to breastfeed (whether just because or IMO its a choice if you give up to easily) and see their little baby in pain and not feel it's their fault?

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
My youngest had reflux she was also unable to tolerate dairy so we bf'd until she was 16months inspite of the ped trying to tell me at 12months that I HAD to stop bf'ing and at 14months that I HAD to put her on soy. Formula made my dd's reflux worse.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
actually i think it is pretty normal - the sphincter between the stomach and the esophogus just isn't completely matured. so most babies would have the potential to have reflux... but i think what's causing the problem or making it worse is A)so many babies being born before they are really ready (too many inductions plus preemies that survive that wouldn't have before) and B)babies need to be held and kept upright after they are fed (ie kangaroo carry in the sling)

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I don't think it's just formula. USAmma's babe had reflux when still on BM. I do think formula contributes to the prob w/ a lot of babes.

Keep in mind, in a lot of places/times babies w/ these probs would likely die. Some of the reading I've done lately drove home the reality of infant death in under/undeveloped areas. Reflux would lead to malnutrition, and a weakened immune system, even if baby is bfed, and baby would likely not survive malaria, diarrhea, etc.

I wonder if someone's studied the rates of reflux in bf populations... that would answer your questions.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Boy am I glad someone else thinks this. It is easy to blame bf, but only when baby has to go through all these formulas, then it finally dawns on them. My ds had reflux at birth. I did the reflux elimination and quickly realized that wya that he is allergic to dairy. HAd I been a ff;er it would have been a total disaster. But it was quickly and easily solved. Lets not forget the moms who know what it is but would rather wean to the really nasty and expensive hypoallergenic formula than to change their diets. It isnt easy, but I would rather do that than give that really gross stuff.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Oop, wasnt done. I know that there is true reflux out there, but I have to wonder how many ff babies really are allergic to ingredients in the formula, such as the milk protiens.

I thought USAmma had bf supply issues and had to ff some.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
My nephew stopped breathing twice within hours of his birth. After a week in the nicu they diagnosed the problem as reflux--he aspirated the acids and choked. He was bf'd and the problem was there right from the get-go, which to me would put it under flminivanmama's explanation. Interestingly, he was induced early.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
yes it certainly could be allergies being mistaken for reflux... but I think most babies with reflux are given a 24 hour ph test - at least my twins were. it puts two probes in the esophogus and tells how much acid is cming up and how high.

and yes Ravin is right - babies did/do die of stuff like this... so it simply isn't true when you say "babies weren't sitting around in agony 200 years ago" b/c they likely were.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I tried to breast feed with all 3 babies and all had projectile vomit ... i was always told that babies can't be allergic to their moms milk it's unnatural ... boy was i disappointed when i couldn't breastfeed... the oldest(22 months) is now drinking soy milk and can oddly enough eat tons of cheese and my 2 youngest (12 months) are still on lactose free formula with no problems. Do toddlers really need milk if they get enough calcium through cheese and veggies?

Any thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yup, they do get really sick and some die. I ate something without reading the label a few weeks ago(who knew egg beaters had real eggs, duh) So he started to reflux and vomit the following day. Because he was trying to catch his breath during all this he inhaled some of it and ended up with pnuemonia, though my doc would rather believe it was a viral thing. Glad I am not a doc worshipper.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by oohlalabags
I tried to breast feed with all 3 babies and all had projectile vomit ... i was always told that babies can't be allergic to their moms milk it's unnatural ... boy was i disappointed when i couldn't breastfeed... the oldest(22 months) is now drinking soy milk and can oddly enough eat tons of cheese and my 2 youngest (12 months) are still on lactose free formula with no problems. Do toddlers really need milk if they get enough calcium through cheese and veggies?

Any thoughts would be great.
My dd cannot tolerate milk either. For her it translates into eczema and congestion. But she can eat cheese. From what I understand as long as they eat calcium rich whole foods, they dont really need ANY dairy.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oohlalabags - did you elimate all possible reflux triggers from your own diet when you were nursing?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I forgot to add that I have seen mothers on the mainstream board I visit who did the whole elimination, then weaned and did the formula dance only to find out too late that it is true reflux and not anything they ate or fed the child.So I do know that not all refux is from formula, but I bet alot is. My ds was born 10 days early and I hoped that the reflux was due to taht. But nope, it was definitely allergies. He is perfectly fine if I stay away from all dairy, soy, peanut and eggs.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I agree with flminivanmama about inductions, etc. contributing to reflux, but from my own experiences with my 3, I believe reflux is usually caused by formula or breastmilk that contains unnatural foods for humans (dairy, eggs, soy, gluten being the top 4) as a result of the mother's diet.

I also believe that as a society we have come to believe certain conditions are normal when they are really a result of an unnatural diet.

I'm thinking of gas, diarreah (sp?), reflux, colic, heartburn, smelly stools, constipation (less than one bowel movement per day), small babies who wake frequently crying (the "pain" cry).

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
My baby got reflux before he was supplemented. He was a reflux baby when he was 100% breastfed...

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
my ds had reflux with no supplementation, but then i have an esophageal hernia & there is a history of stomach issues (dating back to the 18th century, as far i can trace it!) in my family. so, for my part, i can't say it had anything to do with it.

but formula is still bad (there ya go, heavenly <g>)

suse

1 - 20 of 50 Posts