Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nak

So lately we keep getting visits from assorted party representatives campaigning, people selling magazines and teens spreading the word about their churches. I used to be very nice to these people, always talk to them, once even bought a magazine subscription. (Organic living, iirc.)

However...

We don't sleep at night, DD sleeps fairly well in the morning though - from 4 am or so, on until noon. So, all the sleep I get is during that time. These guys have started showing up at 9 or 10am, and they ring the doorbell repeatedly and then knock (better yet, *pound*). Sometimes I answer just to stop the noise and tell them to go away.

Well, today I decided to try and warn them.

Pic.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Oh, definitely. You did not invite them to your house. I'm going to paint a little wooden sign to hang up I think... we made one for my mom's home child care for when there were three kids napping during quiet time, some right by the front door, on the couch!

·
Registered
93 Posts
we made a sign similar to that when DS was a newborn. It worked wonderfully. My step-brother saw it and decided to go back home until we called him. He completely understood. I hope it works for you

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
A sign should work well. Always be polite in it's writing, although it may be tempting for one not to be so.

·
Registered
654 Posts
nak

I have a "Shhh! Baby's sleeping" sign taped to the doorbell. I never take it down. The UPS dude sort of complained about it once. I just gave him a feeble smile, took my package, and shut the door. Your sign is much funnier than mine.
Way to go!

Jill

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
We have a sign that I've taped OVER the door bell. It simply says "please knock quietly." Seems to be working so far. I HATE it when people come to my home without being invited -- especially if they are selling something. I remember once this guy came trying to sell books. We all had the stomach flu. I even told him this and he still didn't want to go away. He started to argue with me when I told him I was so sick I could barely talk. He said "well, you a talking right now." The nerve! I had to very clearly tell him to leave my property! So irritating!

·
Registered
616 Posts
I like your sign! That makes me so mad when people come by that I do not know, and then wake the baby. We have a "Shh.. Baby Sleeping" sign, but we'd need to put it at the driveway since the dog barking wakes them up before the doorbell does.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
We have a wooden sign outside that says "please do not ring bell"

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've been thinking of putting up a sign not to ring the bell. For us the biggest problem is phone calls at night. DS is a very light sleeper and the phone ringing generally wakes him. It's hard to get people not to call, though.

I like your sign!

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought about disconnecting the door bell but I'll try and see how the sign works.

My UPS guy is part of the problem - he just assumes that everyone is working/at school and he just rings the doorbell a few times, bangs on the door and by the time I get there he's already back at the truck and my package is at the door. Actually, I'm not even sure it's a guy anymore - been a while since I've actually gotten to see the face.
I would see him less if I quit ordering stuff online... Do you guys see that happening?
:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Mine says "Day Sleeper - Please do not ring the doorbell"
We have dogs that will bark if our neighbor two doors down scratches his butt.
If anyone actually knocks and wakes the baby, i'll answer and rip them a new one, since dd hates to even nap.
:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I need to post a sign on my front door for my ILs. I swear, the ring the bell EVERY SINGLE TIME they come over. Hello, morons. 10-month-old baby lives here. Geez, I'm getting all fired up just thinking about it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's perfect! I will make up one myself and I like the suggestion of taping it over the doorbell.

As for the phone ringing, I've turned off the ringer on the phone upstairs where the baby sleeps and lowered the volume all the way on the downstairs phone. My DH hates that he has to raise the volume every time to listen to messages but I give him an earful if he forgets to lower it afterwards and wakes up the baby.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by panthera28 View Post
Mine says "Day Sleeper - Please do not ring the doorbell"
We have dogs that will bark if our neighbor two doors down scratches his butt.
If anyone actually knocks and wakes the baby, i'll answer and rip them a new one, since dd hates to even nap.
:

My dog is the same way! It drives me crazy.
:
My family will nock on the screen door when I have the front door open.
:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
My doorbell is wired through the entryway light circuit. If the light is off, the bell doesn't work. And our door is far enough from the bedroom that it doesn't bother DD, and most of the time I see people come up the drive (they have to come around the house) and I can get to the door first. Not that anyone visits since we live so far out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts