Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW. I've been getting a bunch of carrots almost every week in my CSA box, and I've been composting the greens. Today, on a whim, I chopped the greens and tossed them into a soup pot with some chicken, chopped carrots, and diced kohlrabi.

Oh. My. Goodness. This soup is SO carroty delicious!!!! I pulled out the chicken pieces and pureed everything else, then put the chicken back in. I added some barley and it is just awesome.

I will NEVER toss carrot greens again. Just thought I'd offer this as a PSA for those who might also be missing out on the carroty goodness.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If you get carrots without greens on them anymore, you can put the tops (once you've trimmed them off the carrots) into a saucer of water, keep them standing in water and in good light and they re-grow their tops...bit of extra yummy, free greens

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
If you get carrots without greens on them anymore, you can put the tops (once you've trimmed them off the carrots) into a saucer of water, keep them standing in water and in good light and they re-grow their tops...bit of extra yummy, free greens

neato!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I've always used them to make homemade veggie stock that I then freeze. I take the tops, onions skins and trimmings, and whatever other veggie leftovers I have and have delicious stock.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
That's so funny! I was looking at the few carrots that survived in my garden yesterday and was wondering if I could eat the greens. It seems like such a waste not to. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
45,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
I've always used them to make homemade veggie stock that I then freeze. I take the tops, onions skins and trimmings, and whatever other veggie leftovers I have and have delicious stock.
I do this too, only I include chicken bones as well.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
No kidding! I just pulled all the carrots in my garden up today. The carrots themselves are tiny, hairy and not very appealing, but if the greens are good I'm happy!

We're all sure they're not poisonous or anything, right?

·
Registered
45,796 Posts
Yup, they're non poisonous. I've made soup with them and consumed it with no ill effects on me or anybody I served the soup to. I've also used them in place of parsley in cream sauce, again with no ill effects.

So, as you can see, carrot greens are perfectly sa <ruthla drops unconscious mid post as a result of carrot green poisoning.>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.