Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH is being deployed to Afghanistan in January and was prescribed these to take prophalactically (sp?) for malaria prevention. Does anyone know anything about these...unusual/long lasting side effects, that sort of thing?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I do know that my husband and the guys in his unit had some SERIOUS hallucinations while on it. I've heard some crazy stories about guys under the influence of doxycycline.. not that i neccesarily believe many of them....<br><br>
sorry I dont have any real information, but I would love to know more on this as my DH had to take it several times

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
I don't think doxycycline is any worse than any other abx. It's been around for a long time and I know I had it several times as a teen for bronchitis and stuff. I never had any weird side effects. (Not endorsing the use of abx here, just saying that I don't see why it would be any worse than the rest of them.)<br><br>
When DH was in Indonesia doing tsunami relief, they only had to take the doxycyline. I wonder why they're giving your DH both. From what I understand, Primaquine used to be for treatment, not prevention. I guess the parasite has become resistant to the other stuff? I think it used to be Chloroquine... What are they gonna do when it's resistant to Primaquine? Clearly, people who have no natural resistance to malaria shouldn't be hanging out in places where it's a problem, contributing to the issue of drug resistance, making it more difficult to treat the cases that sometimes happen among the people who actually live there. One more problem caused by the poor use of our military. Ugh. (My DH is military, too, so I'm definitely not irritated with the service members - just the idiots who send them hither and thither with nothing to show for it.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts