Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find resources to show my doctor why I want to limit U/S and doppler use. After doing a few searches. I can't find any information saying that either is unsafe. Can anyone point me anywhere helpful?<br><br>
I have heard several people say that one minute of doppler is like 35 minutes of doppler. I would love to find research on that if anyone could point me in the right direction.<br><br>
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
There are plenty of articles and studies that have been done over the past thirty years. The most remarkable one was done at Oxford University by Dr. Alice Stuart in the late 1970s-1980s. Since that is so long ago, and ultrasounds are still being done on pregnant women assembly line style, why would your doctor pay any attention to it? Ultrasound is another name for non-ionizing radiation. It came into common use in obstetrics after doctors decided that X-ray pelvimetry was too risky after sixty years of use in obstetrics.<br><br>
Why don't you ask your own doctor for studies that prove ultrasounds are completely safe AND have improved infant/neonatal outcomes? I am going to bet that there are none. Ultrasound scans are a sign of good prenatal care as far as the courts and the medical profession are concerned. Who are you, a concerned mother, to question them? I am going to suggest that you find an agreeable midwife instead. Doctors think alike pretty much and answer to the hospital overseer panels and state boards, not you.<br><br>
Check <a href="http://www.mothering.com/articles/pregnancy_birth/birth_preparation/ultrasound-risks.html" target="_blank">this</a> out.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The Midwifery today website has some good stuff for you.<br><br>
Just a question, do you feel like you have to have proof of your reason for limiting your exposer to the doctor? I would think just declining the ultrasound or doppler would be OK. It is your right to decline any procedure you are uncomfortable with.<br><br>
This pregnancy I have declined doppler use (so at 20 weeks I still have not heard a heartbeat-but man do I get kicked!) The midwives I have seen think I'm a little weird but have been OK with my decision. What does the heartbeat <span style="text-decoration:underline;">really</span> tell anyone? Yup, there's a baby in there. Yup, the heart is working. I'm just waiting until we can hear something with a fetascope - any week now.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ladies!<br><br>
I actually was seeing a midwife and planning a homebirth, but my dh recently expressed to me how uncomfortable he is with the homebirth. He says he'll be supportive, but I don't feel like I want to do it without him on my side. Anyway, that's a whole different topic.<br><br>
I like the doc who delivered my son. I went back to see him and he was fine with me declining all the tests, but a few times he asked me what my objection was. Honestly, I didn't really know. From reading a little and listening to my gut, I feel that some of the tests are unsafe, but I would feel more confident and informed if I could do some reading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts