Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
X-POSTED IN ALLERGIES
Dosage of CLO question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just get home from Whole Foods where I purchased Nordic Naturals CLO. I spent some time reading the back of the various brands available and settled on this one primarily due to the fact that it was on sale and I figured at the time that as long as it states it does not contain mercury etc... one is the same as the other. Maybe I was wrong about this. Anyway, I remember another brand stated that it contained 100% dv of Vitamin D. I don't remember what the recommended dosage was. The one I purchased states that the recommended dosage (1tsp) contains .25% to 5% of the recommended daily value of vitamin D. Why the range? and Why the disparity between the two brands? Is there something I am missing here? How much should I take? How about my kids? Sorry if these are aggravatingly stupid questions, but I do appreciate the insights I always seem to get from you ladies. I want to get the Vitamin D benefits from CLO but now am afraid I should have purchased something different. This stuff is sooo expensive, I will have to use up what I bought anyway before I get something different but want to know what to get if in fact I did get the wrong thing....

peace

jen

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Our ND recommends Nordic Naturals. It's what we use, although the ND does occasionally give us Carlson's instead. He said something about mixing it up a bit being good for your body. Anyway, when I first started taking clo, he had me take 1tsp twice a day for two weeks, and then I went down to 1tsp/day. Apparently the kid dose is half a tsp, though I'd be tempted to use a bit less than that on a really young/small child.
We use the lemon flavoured stuff, and I still have to chase it with orange juice - I have no idea how you're supposed to entice a child to swallow the vile stuff! Our dd is still to young for clo, but I think we might have to do capsules when the time comes. Please do share your technique if you're successful!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
since posting originally i was pointed in the direction of the traditional foods forum that also has some great info on clo... i figured out that i did purchase the wrong one that i actually need high vitamin clo. anyway, we will use what we have and live in learn for next time. as far as convincing a child to take it... my 17 month old loves it! i put it in a syringe and he sucks it right down. in fact he cries for more! my older kids don't like the consistency but don't mind if i mix it in orange juice. it's what works for us...

jen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.