Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit over 41 weeks pregnant, and I bought some blue and black cohosh, which was only available to me in capsule form, and I can't find anything on how much to take. The reason I'm considering it is because DH is home from Iraq for only five more days and if I do not have her while he is here he won't get to meet his daughter until she is 9 months old. I'd REALLY love some help on this!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I can't find the dosage of the cohoshes in capsule form, sorry. Did you try searching online? If it were me, I would talk to my midwife about trying castor oil. If you are sure of your dates and your cervix is ripe, it may be all you need to kick your body into labor. I know I may get flamed for this advice, but I really feel for you and your DH. Hope someone can get you the dosage.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I would strongly recommend taking castor oil if you are going to try an induction- more likely to work and has been in use longer. There have been fairly recent studies that show it works better than just straight hospital inductions as well. it is thought that it works by increasing the prostaglandin activity-- and an increase in prostaglandins as well as prostaglandin receptor sites are part of what triggers/produces labor.
do this in the AM after breakfast and a good sleep-

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have tried walking, spicy food, sex, pineapple, nipple stim, warm baths, exercise, castor oil... I don't know what else to do! I'm not sure I like the idea of having my membranes stripped really. but then again I don't like the idea of cohosh or really even castor oil (which did not work). But because of the situation with DH I really am desperate!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
I have tried walking, spicy food, sex, pineapple, nipple stim, warm baths, exercise, castor oil... I don't know what else to do! I'm not sure I like the idea of having my membranes stripped really. but then again I don't like the idea of cohosh or really even castor oil (which did not work). But because of the situation with DH I really am desperate!
Call your midwife hun!!! Let her know how important this is to you and dh!!!

·
Premium Member
8,105 Posts
Tried Evening Primrose Oil? It might help your cervix to ripen, then make it more likely that the other stuff will work...

·
Registered
768 Posts
do the capsules indicate how much they contain?

is there any dosage information on the packaging?

can you search the manufacturer online?

I searched Google for "COHOSH CAPSULE DOSAGE" and this thread is the #2 hit!

fwiw, my experience with cohosh: I drank 2 cups of black cohosh tea when I was 41 wks and 2 days, went to bed and essentially went into labor the next morning. My kid wasn't born until 24 hours after that, but I still feel like the tea is what kickstarted everything. I had purchased the herb loose from an herb farm and just eyeballed about a tea bag full to make the tea.

good luck!

-P

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I stirred half a capsule of powder into some RRL tea (not tasty, btw) nothing big yet, but if I don't go into labour by morning I'll take one capsule. My body seems to react either really well or not at all to things.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Good luck mama! I'm hoping you're holding that sweet baby right now!!

Do you have a lot of help after your dh goes back? I've been so blessed with womanly support 24/7 these last 2 days--round the clock care!
and good food too!

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She's not here yet-- and no, everyone I know on the island is pretty much all in Iraq, but I do have my FRG and even a few MDC mommas around, plus the LLL here, but no family.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts