Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my 14 month old DS has a double ear infection. The dr. gave me a rx for an antibiotic but I am wondering what alternatives ya'all use! Any input would be great. Poor lil' guy. He's had a high fever since Saturday and is just kind of miserable!

· Registered
7,597 Posts
Garlic/mullein oil drops and tylenol for nighttime if he's still in pain. The mullein will numb it some and the garlic is a natural antibiotic. I know others use different things but this has always worked really well for us.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
After doing ALOT of research (I suffered from EIs as a child/teen and still get them as an adult) This is own personal criteria:

Fact 1: EI's treated with antibiotics will clear 'completely' in the same amount of time as those that aren't.

Fact 2: EI's treated with antibiotics will have the intense pain resolve faster than those that are untreated.

Fact 2: Total resolution for an EI can take weeks - so there will be some 'redness' in the ear at the 2 week check - but that's NORMAL.

So:

If I can manage DD's pain with Motrin, Tylenol, and numbing ear drops (available at any pharmacy) - then I don't give the antibiotics. If the pain killers don't work - then we give the antibiotics.

I have had NUMEROUS EIs as an adult. I get one every ~2 years. Some of them go away in a few days if I take an anti-inflammatory like Motrin, and I don't even seek medical attention any more. Others require prescription pain killers (T3s in Canada - but I think the US has different designations. These are the second level of Tylenol with Codeine available). So I follow the same criteria I use for my DD.

So she's had 4 EI's. We treated the first 1 because both her and I were really really sick. The next two didn't need treatment. The last one had her screaming inconsolably even 2 hours after giving her Motrin and Tylenol. We ended up at the ER in the middle of the night because it was so bad.

· Premium Member
2,573 Posts
Yes, to what Kessed said. Pain relief is essential. I still remember the EI I had in second grade -- it hurt like crazy. I go straight for the Motrin. Kessed, are you in Canada? I don't think the numbing drops are available w/out an RX in the U.S. I asked for them a couple years ago. Of course it doesn't hurt to check.

Hope your LO is feeling better!
-e

· Registered
1,022 Posts
I am in Canada.

We actually got the numbing drops for DDs last EI. They gave them to us in the kid's ER once they figure out that's what her problem was... (Got to love out health care)

The doctor said that some kids really respond to them - and other don't.

I guess here's my stance on 'natural/alternative' medicines. I think that I ALWAYS have the right to choose them for myself. And I always have the right to offer them to my child. But I don't have the right to force my child to suffer. So - if pain relief doesn't work - natural or pharmaceutical - then I go with something that I know will work.

I'll do natural remedies for thrush and yeast infections. But with the pain of an EI - I want to make sure that she gets relief.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies! It's been such a crazy week! Not only did we have the EI, I believe he is getting 6 teeth in at once!
So, he was hurting, so I was doing the Tylenol/Motrin combo and we started amoxicillin. Well, he got an a.m. dose and a p.m. dose of the amoxicillin and the next a.m. he woke up with a rash under his chin. I attributed it to teething, but didn't give the amoxicillin just in case. Well, he laid down for nap and when he woke up, the rash was all over his back too! So, he had a reaction to the amoxicillin. So, we stayed on the Tylenol/Motrin and he is all better... Now if we would just get the teeth that have been teasing us for so long!

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.