Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the difference? we mostly use prefolds and covers, but we have a couple fuzzibuns too. would i only put inserts into a pocket diaper? would i only use a double inside a cover w/ a prefold? which one can go next to babies skin, and which one cant?

if i was going to put a insert into a fuzzibun, like the one it came with...do i only need one? or is two a better idea? or does it just depend on how long we are out?

thanks mama's!
:

·
Registered
915 Posts
Doublers are usually thinner than inserts (but not always) and they come in many shapes and sizes...some doublers are flat and can be trifolded up and folded into sections to add absorbancy inside a fitted where it's needed most...some doublers are made the shape of the diaper, some doublers are partially sewn into a fitted or snapped in and some have multiple layers...they are made out of lots of different materials too (hemp, bamboo, cotton, velour, etc.)....if it's a doubler, it should be safe up against your baby's skin since they are made specifically to add extra abosrbancy to a diaper.

Inserts are usually thicker and larger because they are made to go inside a pocket dipe usually and they come in different sizes depending on the size of your dipe. Microfiber and hemp are the most common inserts I think....MF cannot be up against the skin....and you can use all MF or all hemp or a combo of both inside your pocket dipes....I prefer to put the MF on the top and the hemp on the bottom inside my pockets since the MF soaks the pee up faster and since there is usually fleece covering your babys bottom, that's okay to do. You can also use prefolds or flats inside a pocket dipe and/or combine them with other inserts. If you use prefolds, you can pretty much tuck anything up inside them for extra absorbancy....you can wrap prefold around a MF insert or a hemp insert....as long as the MF insert is inside the prefold and is not touching the skin. You can also use doublers with your prefolds as well...it really depends on how much bulk you want to deal with and how heavy of a wetter you have. And if there's room in your baby's dipe, you could even use an insert folded up and placed inside....I've used Hemp inserts inside my son's fitteds before....but I'd much rather use bamboo or velour if possible....since it's softer against my baby.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts